My babies

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by RepoBob, Feb 17, 2008.

1. RepoBob

RepoBob Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2007
    Illinois
    A friend had one of his hens go broody, but he had no fertilized eggs. I gave him some of mine from my orps to hatch. He brought them over today. I'm ecstatic.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These were the first eggs hatched from chickens in my stewardship. This is so rewarding. Can't wait to hatch them in my incubator (one week to go)

They are presently with their mother in isolation for a few weeks. The mother even laid me an egg today in there new home. Does that mean she's done with these chicks? When I left the chicks alone they just huddled in the corner. As soon as I put mom in they were all running around drinking water and eating starter. So, it seems, they still want her.

I'm so [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] happy.
    Bob

Last edited: Feb 17, 2008
  2. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    congrats

3. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Nice babies.

They look about two to three weeks old right? They will need a heat source
    still if you take them away from mom.

Once my chicks hit 3 weeks and have some real feathers I put them in the
    brooder in my barn under an 80 watt heat lamp. They need around 75 degrees
    under the light at that age. If they get cold they will huddle up or spread apart
    if they get too warm.

I can't comment on taking them from Mom because I've never had a broody
    hatch. I suspect they are used to her and feel naked and anxious when she is
    gone. They will grow out of that.

Are those Blue Orps or a cross?

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They're beautiful, Bob. Love those Orps!

5. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    Congrats on the chicks!!!!

I imagine they will want to follow mom around for quite a while yet. She's the safety zone, the protector.

Julie [​IMG]

6. RepoBob

Nov 25, 2007
    Illinois
    Thank you so much everyone. I haven't felt like this since my own son was born. I want to go check them about every 10 min [​IMG]

Jullie, yea when I go to look at them mom gets between me and the chicks She's very protective.

Thanks SpeckledHen, I really think orps are becoming my favorite. The more I read about and see them the more I like.

PC, yup they are a few days shy of 3 weeks. They are presently in a brooder that is 2ft wide and 6 ft long with mom. I do have a heat lamp in there too. When they seen me putting mom in there with them you could almost hear their sigh of relief. They were visibly happier when they seen her. I'll probably leave her with the for the 3 weeks they are in isolation, and when they go into the coop I'll put mom in with the big chickens. Those are from a black orp father and blue orp moms. The father is a very large bird, almost like a jersey giant.

Heres a pic of my roo and two of the blue hens. The buff bird I bought as an orp, but it has yellow legs. So I'm not sure what it is.

[​IMG]

Bob

Last edited: Feb 17, 2008
  7. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Pretty birds Bob! Congrats. I will be on bator watch with you in a week. I'm a nervous mess!!!

8. RepoBob

Nov 25, 2007
    Illinois
    Henrietta23 Thankx. Good luck on your hatch [​IMG]
    I'll send you some good karma.
    I'm sure I'll be up all night a week from today, [​IMG] waiting and watching.

9. countryboy

countryboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2007
    real nice birds bob

10. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

How neat repobob............... nice looking birds you have there..... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by