My babies

bayyjayy

Songster
8 Years
Jul 5, 2011
Utah
Figured I would share....I love these guys!

I have my three original mallards, two Rouens, three LOUD Pekins--all girls--then I have a mama mallard and her six ducklings that my neighbor put in my backyard so her babies wouldn't get eaten or drown. There is a creek in our neighborhood that has lots of ducks in it, but since it has been such a wet spring and early summer, it is running hard and fast, so she caught them and put them there. They are big enough to let go again, but I am not sure how to catch them and get them gone. I want to add some Anconas, Buffs, maybe Welsh Harlequinn, and maybe Magpies in the spring, so I need to figure out how to let them go free. Mama leaves every morning, and her mate flies in just about every night.

Goodpic-1.jpg

myducks.jpg

ducks3.jpg

My Cayugas and my new baby mallard:

two.jpg

thee.jpg

This is Dot (because she has a yellow dot on her head)....her mom abandoned her/him the day after I got my Cayuga babies, so it worked out perfectly. She/he seems soooo small:
SOcute.jpg

My original three mallards:
ducks4.jpg

Actually, not angel wing....BROKEN wing. When he was little, trying to get him out of the rubbermaid bin he was in and the cage I kept them in at night was like I was trying to murder them...it got broken during one of our tussels....SOOO sad at the time, called vets, actually called again months later to see if they could amputate it, but they said to just leave it.

Natural pond, no liner....yet! We are working on making it bigger and adding a liner.

Quote:
I so wanted some when I first saw them. I called a local stores a few times a day for a week before they finally came in. I LOVE them...can't wait for them to get their feathers. They will be such a nice addition to our pond. Picture our pond with Ancona's.....CAN NOT WAIT FOR THAT!
smile.png

Anconas are awesome. I love the spots. How many caugas did you get? I didn't expect mine to have the light almost yellow stomach and one even has a yellow dot above its bill. They're both boys
smile.png
Daffy and Drake <3

Quote:
I got three, then got the little mallard the next day. I was surprised at the yellow, too, though one has verrrry little yellow and the other two have quite a bit!

The only thing I worry about on ponds is Stagnant water. If you have something moving the water at all times then you won't have stagnant water.
Stagnant water leads to Botulism. I would think about buying a fountain or something else that would move the water.

Nice Pond though!
smile.png

We are working on that......so far we have had no problem with the water, and the pond has been there almost a year. Like I said before, we have drained it and refilled it. I want something they can play in and splash in...some kind of fountain. Fun.

Back
Top Bottom