My baby chick has a yellow eye! Help!

TD415

Hatching
10 Years
Apr 12, 2009
Pilot Hill
This is my third year raising chicks. This year I made a large purchase from a reputable hatchery (44 babies). All survied and are healthy except one baby developed a swollen eye at about 1 week old. I seperated it from the flock with another of her kind (Campines) and began the 14 day antiboitic treatment of Terramycin in the water. The sick baby was also very small (1/2 the size of the healthy chicks). She is 4 weeks old today and still 1/2 the size. The swelling has gone away, but she still won't open her eye. She does all her cute chicken things and seems to have just as much energy as her pals. When I open her eye, however, all I see is yellow (similar to the color of yolk). Is the eye gone? Does anybody know what this might be and how I can help her?

I see this is a very old thread, but wondering if you found a diagnosis? I have a chick with this exact thing! But only 3 days old. Thanks!
Start a new thread about your chick in the forum (emergencies/diseases/injuries and cures). Post photos of the chick, what you are feeding, any other symptoms (eye discharge, eating drinking habits, active, lethargic, etc.)

Back
Top Bottom