my baby duck :(

mcChicken39

Chirping
Oct 23, 2020
australia
i have just hatched muscovey ducklings yesterday my daughter put her duck into water and today he's breathing funny like a chesty wheeze croaky noise what is wrong with him hes also walking lopsided like with one side a bit more down the the other?
please help!

PS i know she wasn't suppose to wet it as there only a week old but she had wet him before i had a chance to say anything! :(

thanks everyone

Could you post a video of the duckling? To post a video, upload it to a video platform like Youtube or Vimeo, then copy/paste the link here.

Is the bird eating, and drinking? How do her poops look?

Did all the problems occur right after the duckling was set in the bath, or had it been going on prior to that bath?

okay so im not sure when it happened. i am currently dealing with mites on my baby chickens SO this morening i was bathing my chickens and baby ducks as they are in the same pen to RID of these mites. im not sure if ducks can get the mites from the chickens.
however as i bathe baby chicken this morning thats when i noticed his breathing was very different to the other 2 baby ducks.

ive just gone out to take a video and i cant hear anything but he's dry now... im not sure..... maybe its just when it wet??

It's hard for me to tell you what caused the heavy breathing. If you/your kid were holding them too tight, that may have caused some labored breathing. If he was left in the water too long and aspirated on some water, that could have brought on such a problem. Overheating is another possibility.

It is good to hear she isn't doing it anymore. Are you bathing them in water, without any additives? Bathing is a good preventative in waterfowl for making sure lice/mites don't become a problem, but chicks don't have feathers like waterfowl, and arent able to repel water properly, as you likely know. Bathing a chicken in water is stressful, and won't totally resolve an ectoparasites infestation.

I would get a permethrin-based powder or spray, and use that instead. Focusing near the vent, and under their wings. Clean the coop, dispose of the bedding, and spray that down too. Repeat in seven days.

Oh okay.
we are having trouble where I live to get those treatment options. So someone on this sit told me th wash them off.
And as they are chicks I just bathed them in warm water and dried them with the towel put them back under the heat lamp?

Oh okay.
we are having trouble where I live to get those treatment options. So someone on this sit told me th wash them off.
And as they are chicks I just bathed them in warm water and dried them with the towel put them back under the heat lamp?

Sadly, whoever recommended such treatment is uninformed.

You should be able to get the Permethrin at your feed store.

Back
Top Bottom