My baby pigeons are dying

Amerikaner

Chirping
Apr 12, 2019
i started with 4 baby pigeons 2 of them statrted nesting one hatched other one dint and thats fine its expected and everything went ok then they decided to nest again , 2 pigeons hatched and then died at 2-3 weeks , then the third time one hatched and died within the week. im not sure why, ive made them a bigger nesting box with more shade and holes on the side of the box for ventilation ... at this point idk what i am dong wrong, maybe the food? i feed them wild mix , maybe the baby pigeons need something alse? the parents take care of them

i started with 4 baby pigeons 2 of them statrted nesting one hatched other one dint and thats fine its expected and everything went ok then they decided to nest again , 2 pigeons hatched and then died at 2-3 weeks , then the third time one hatched and died within the week. im not sure why, ive made them a bigger nesting box with more shade and holes on the side of the box for ventilation ... at this point idk what i am dong wrong, maybe the food? i feed them wild mix , maybe the baby pigeons need something alse? the parents take care of them
I don't think I understand. Are you fostering these babies or are they with the parents? I used to raise pigeons, but I let the parents raise the babies. The parents feed them regurgitated food called pigeon milk. I have no idea how you would replicate it. I never provided any sort of enclosed nest.

I don't think I understand. Are you fostering these babies or are they with the parents? I used to raise pigeons, but I let the parents raise the babies. The parents feed them regurgitated food called pigeon milk. I have no idea how you would replicate it. I never provided any sort of enclosed nest.
i let the parents take care of the babies soo far 2 died within 3 weeks and my last one withing 1 i dont understand why, they have water and wild bird seed plus the parents switch to keep em warm. could the baby pigeons be dying from diet? but then again one of their babies did survive and its an adult pigeon now and had the same wild bird seeds.

i thought maybe some kind of bacteria or something so i cleaned their aviary and washed it out a bit and made them a new nest, this the third nest i have made so far bigger.

Last edited:
i let the parents take care of the babies soo far 2 died within 3 weeks and my last one withing 1 i dont understand why, they have water and wild bird seed plus the parents switch to keep em warm. could the baby pigeons be dying from diet? but then again one of their babies did survive and its an adult pigeon now and had the same wild bird seeds.

i thought maybe some kind of bacteria or something so i cleaned their aviary and washed it out a bit and made them a new nest, this the third nest i have made so far bigger.
You should be feeding your pigeons pigeon food, not wild bird seed. If pigeon feed is not available, you should be able to find a ration listing the ingredients on line and then buy the seeds to make it. Wild bird seed isn't going to suffice.

they are rock pigeons/doves i saved from my work. the people who own the place threw them on a box and threw trash on them while they where still lil babies . i also i made a hole with a big pvc pipe enough for them to get out and come back but they wont leave and yes that is chicken wire around the top of it so cats wont land on it to wait out for them. there is tarp on the sides because durin rain time i covered their cage so they dont get wet and protect them from cold. I live in Socal sometimes during winter it gets very cold we gets cold rain or a bit of snow so during winter i put them in cages like big canary cages and put them on the building next door it does get ventilated but also keeps them away from the huge cold keep em warm as possible. If the diet then what should i buy so the parents can take care of them properly? Also im sure if the parents left the cage they can go get the food for them , but they wont. Rightnow its really hot so the tarps give them a bit of shade so they dont over heat.

Attachments

• IMG_20190414_151842758.jpg
    IMG_20190414_151842758.jpg
    901.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20190414_151850981_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190414_151850981_HDR.jpg
    752.3 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
i just fed them.and gave them fresh water

Attachments

• IMG_20190419_135352876.jpg
    IMG_20190419_135352876.jpg
    644.4 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20190419_135348298.jpg
    IMG_20190419_135348298.jpg
    598.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20190419_135345598.jpg
    IMG_20190419_135345598.jpg
    572.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20190419_135342530.jpg
    IMG_20190419_135342530.jpg
    698.5 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20190419_135333817.jpg
    IMG_20190419_135333817.jpg
    508.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20190419_135321581.jpg
    IMG_20190419_135321581.jpg
    574.3 KB · Views: 44
i just fed them.and gave them fresh water
Changing the water for fresh everyday is important. I'm not sure why your babies are dying. I don't even think that diet would be the only reason. Are you providing grit? If your birds are too thin adding safflower seeds, whole corn and maple peas or field peas would improve the mix.:)

they are rock pigeons/doves i saved from my work. the people who own the place threw them on a box and threw trash on them while they where still lil babies . i also i made a hole with a big pvc pipe enough for them to get out and come back but they wont leave and yes that is chicken wire around the top of it so cats wont land on it to wait out for them. there is tarp on the sides because durin rain time i covered their cage so they dont get wet and protect them from cold. I live in Socal sometimes during winter it gets very cold we gets cold rain or a bit of snow so during winter i put them in cages like big canary cages and put them on the building next door it does get ventilated but also keeps them away from the huge cold keep em warm as possible. If the diet then what should i buy so the parents can take care of them properly? Also im sure if the parents left the cage they can go get the food for them , but they wont. Rightnow its really hot so the tarps give them a bit of shade so they dont over heat.
You should be able to buy pigeon food at any feed store. It is a mix and as I remember contains a variety if different l grains, some large. Just ask for pigeon food.

Back
Top Bottom