my bad!!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by blueskylen, Aug 5, 2008.

1. blueskylen

blueskylen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    WV
    I know that you probably shouldn't give chickens ( or any pets ) sweet treats, but just couldn't resist giving the girls a piece of apple cobbler that I made. nothing in it but butter, flour, sugar, baking powder, and apple.

at first they just gathered around looking at it and then at me like " what is this funny looking mess" then one gave it a peck, then another, then it was beaks and crumbs flying everywhere!! I almost fell over laughing:lau

after a few seconds is was all gone, and they were all wiping their beaks off on the wood of their run.

boy did they come running when I came out later to let them out of the run for a few minutes [​IMG]- and all were sooo much friendlier than usual!

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Oh, you've done it now!!

3. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    LOL - what a funny sight that must have been! [​IMG]

4. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    They will now expect a treat every time you walk out of the house, mine will line up like prisoners of war waiting for a handout, the little moochers.

5. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Mine are worse than moochers. We've started calling them "chicken sharks". When we eat dinner outside we're constantly being scoped out for an opportunity to grab part of our dinner & run.

Last night I lost part of my salad to my sex-linked (who ran off with it then discarded it!).

The day before my BR grabbed part of my sandwich for herself.

How I imagine my al fresco dinners with chickens around:
    [​IMG]

6. Silkiemama

Silkiemama Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2008
    S.E. Ohio
    Sharks, how funny!!!

I've made a habit of giving our little flock treats - they really look forward to it! Usually just some breakfast cereal or cracked corn pieces, but sometimes they will also enjoy pizza, pears, apples, cherries - anything we bring seems worth a try. Our 12 week old chicks were running around chasing a reflection coming off my watch and we had a big laugh - they must have thought it was a moth or something!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by