My bantam is very sick.. please help my buddy out.

DannyUpchurch

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 9, 2009
I have no idea whats wrong with him. I went out this morning to check on my birds and he was still on his perch. I took a better look and both of his eyes were closed and wouldnt open. He sounds like hes got a cold but no runny nose. And he stinks to high heaven. I gave him some some vetrx but he still looks bad tonight maybe worse. I put him in a small rabbit pen with some hay and covered it with some blankets then put it on the back porch with a heat light. The little red deal on top of his head isnt nice and red as normal. Its faded looking with some black looking dots on it.

The smell would indicate coryza, but I'm not sure. Hope he gets better, and it's nothing serious
fl.gif

separate, keep warm and out of draft.
is he wheezing or gurgling?
get Tylan 50 injectable and syringes...available at most farm/feed/livestock stores in the LIVESTOCK section.

describe droppings..color and consistency..

if mucus from beak, and/or swollen eyes with mucus..sinus flush instructions:

http://fowlfacts.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=2008&thread=1819

give extra protein..(such as egg)
give water by drops on beak if he won't drink on his own.

and vitamins..poultry vitamins ..or Poly-vi-sol liquid baby vitamins, Enfamil brand..no iron..give 2 drops on beak once a day for 3 days, then 1 drop for 3 days..

try and clean off the comb with warm water..could be peck marks..or mites
if it doesn't wash off..could be Pox.

what's the weather there?

Last edited:
I gave him some penacilen last night because he didnt look like he was gonna make it thro the night. both of his eyes are open now and hes eating on his on. he still looks weak so i gonna give him a little more and feed him some eggs. Thanks for the help. I do i put a pic of him on here?

ok...the penicillin is ok..but I do suggest you get the Tylan..it's specific for respiratory illness..

you can post a pic ....love bantams.

if you're nervous about giving a bantam a muscle shot..you can give the Tylan by skin shot..pinch up some skin at the back of the neck, then massage it to spread the med...

hope he does better.

Back
Top Bottom