My bantam needs a friend. Please help

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Crazy4Fowl, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Crazy4Fowl

Crazy4Fowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2014
    My duck coop
    I have a mille fleur bantam chicken. Her name is Fluffy her is a picture of her[​IMG]
    She really needs a friend. I was going to get her a duck friend but people say another bantam would be a better choice. I need a bantam chicken that is: really friendly, lays a fair amount of eggs, and isn't much bigger than Fluffy. Mille fluers are 22 ounces according to this ---> http://www.efowl.com/Mille_Fleur_d_Uccle_Bantam_Chickens_p/2338.htm
    Any suggestions? Thanks in Advance!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2014
  2. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    well for eggs, barred rock bantams are fairly good layers, as are brahma bantams. Brahma's are the sweetest birds. My favorite bantam is a cochin...they are super friendly, adorable, and fluffy! They don't lay too many eggs though.

Another bantam would totally be better than a duck. Ducks are really messy, and kinda mean to chickens (and vice versa). They also have different water needs, and even food is a little different.

3. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    OH Fluffy is so cute.
    I personally LOVEEEEEEEEEEE my bantam cochins but alas not so great on the laying.
    I am sure you will find her a friend or 2 or 3. lol chicken math.

Silver spangled hamburgs lay well and are smallish. I have a couple but not the friendliest and like to stick to their own kind.

I vote cochin or another millie.

4. Crazy4Fowl

Nov 20, 2014
    My duck coop
    Ok
    Thanks she is cute!

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I love my bantam Cochin, and I have to disagree with the other posters, she's a pretty decent layer. About the only time she stops laying eggs is when she's trying to hatch them (which she's also very good at. I've had many of them in both bantam and standard, and that's been my overall experience with them. I love my Silkies as well, they're not the greatest layers, but they're okay. My Japanese bantam is an excellent layer, she hasn't gone broody yet. My phoenix bantam is a great layer too, but she also enjoys hatching herself some chicks.

With most bantam breeds, you can expect they'll probably go broody. Which is where they typically get their low egg production rating from. Most folks don't seem to care for Leghorns, but I loved mine when I had them, if eggs are important to you, they're worth some consideration. Mine were the typical, run of the mill white Leghorns and they were so friendly it was almost ridiculous. I really didn't expect to like them so much, I got them just for eggs, but they quickly became favorites. Mine were standards, but they come in both sizes.

Good luck!

6. Crazy4Fowl

Nov 20, 2014
    My duck coop
    Thanks![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by