My bantams arrived from MPC.. one death already

chantald

Songster
11 Years
Apr 20, 2008
Mid/UpState NY's Hudson Valley
sad.png
My bantam order arrived from My Pet Chicken on Tuesday.. this evening I went down to check on them in the brooder and one was dead.. At least I found it and not the kids..

I'm worried that they have some disease...
sad.png
sad.png
They all looked really healthy and active this afternoon..

Sorry about your chick. Sometimes it just happens. But if you're looking for help, you haven't provided enough information.

How are they being raised? What are they eating? Any signs of distress? Did the one that died have pasty butt?

I received my new
jumpy.gif
last week, as of Monday, they were a week old and I ordered them through MPC and I couln't be happier! All of them are vrey healthy and active! They are eating like crazy!! I did have one that was not so well. We had to cull it on Sunday due to its bones protruding on its legs. We were very sad
hit.gif
It was a slipped tendon in both legs but it never got better, it actually got worse! But like I said, all the others are very healthy and active and are growing so fast! I will be posting pics real soon!

Quote:
They are in a cage, pine shaving bedding, medicated chick starter, fresh water several times a day, heat lamp with areas to go that are really warm to not as warm, they all seemed very active. I've been cleaning their butts several times a day.. the three yellow chicks seemed to be starting pasty butt so I was watching them.

Ahh well.. I'll hope it was isolated.. these were $8 each!!

Quote:
They are in a cage, pine shaving bedding, medicated chick starter, fresh water several times a day, heat lamp with areas to go that are really warm to not as warm, they all seemed very active. I've been cleaning their butts several times a day.. the three yellow chicks seemed to be starting pasty butt so I was watching them.

Ahh well.. I'll hope it was isolated.. these were $8 each!!

Chantald, I'm sorry you lost a chick. Sounds like you are doing everything right. The sad reality is that some chicks just aren't born strong enough to survive. Shipping would have taken a toll on an already weak chick.

Sorry about the little one. There is one thing I do different from what you said, for the first week I keep them on paper towels. Then I switch them to pine shavings. Maybe I am paranoid, but I think that sometimes one may eat some of that pine and not able to process it due to them being so small. Sounds like you are doing what you should for them though. How many did you get? I assume you got the assortment, so have you figured out what kind they sent you yet? For $8.00 I would also guess you got sexed females. I would call or email MPC they have been very good at customer service. I would bet you can get a credit for the one you lost.

sad.png
sad.png
I'm just sad.. I really wanted some bantam pullets to keep my bantam rooster company.. the big girls ignore him..
sad.png

I only got 4... they were so $$.. now I have 3...
sad.png

NO idea what they are.. other than ball o fluff.. that will hopefully grow into hens!!! jeeze.. this is my first chick loss in the 4 batches I've raised.. I guess I should have ordered more..

Last edited:
?If this is your first loss in 4 batches, you are doing awesome. Don't worry yourself over it. Keep doing what you are doing.

thanks.. I'll try not to worry.. but with just 3 left.. worry is bigger than normal.. a loss of a chick when you have 8 or 10 is sad.. but a loss of a chick when you just have 4 is really sad...

Back
Top Bottom