My barn cat had kittens - how old should they be before moving them

Yes, we plan on fixing any of the kittens that remain on the farm. I think the county has a program for a spay/neuter clinic for feral and barn cats that I can take them to.
I have a family that may want to adopt one or 2 when they are weaned.

Can I have a pregnant cat spayed? I will take her in as soon as I can catch her after the kittens are weaned, she is a very "busy" cat and not always in the barn and "at hand" when I am doing chores, lol. Afraid I may not catch her before Mat Dillon visits again, he lives about 1/4 mile down the road. :(
You can spay a pregnant cat as long as they aren't too far in gestation which I believe would be about 5-6 weeks at most?

Our worry is that she had them in the ceiling of the barn and makes a 6 foot jump down every time she leaves her hiddy hole. She climbs teh post to get up there, lol. Not sure if the kittens can manage that.

How old are they when they start getting mobile?
They start exploring at about 4 weeks, can you confine her in a room or someplace with them ? If so you can bring them down now. If you dont confine her she will most likely move them. She will come in season soon after they are 6 weeks old and ready to wean.

And yes, pregnant cats can be spayed up until they are almost ready to deliver. Hopefully you can spay her way earlier than that though.

If I get desperate, I will use the Havahart. But she is usually only gone for a couple of days at a time. When she is around, she is all about getting her recommended daily amount of pets...
You should start feeding canned kitten food so she can make enough milk and not use her bone reserve for calcium. Also she will start listening for you to call her if the reward is canned food. Easier to catch!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom