my barred rock layed a blue egg!!!!

Pics
That's been said several times already in this thread.

The chicken was thought to be a Barred Rock because of her appearance. But then she started laying blue eggs, which made it obvious that she is not really a Barred Rock.
Yes I know I was trying to give insight to the mystery blue egg. My point was she appears to be a BPR but op said she was in the box with blue egg. She swore she checked under her but she could have been hiding it. Mine do. The bird in question has red earlobes and its to my understanding that would mean brown eggs…not blue

Chickens with red earlobes lay brown eggs
But with the red earlobes she should lay brown eggs….right?!

Not necessarily.

Among pure breeds of chickens that lay either white or brown eggs, most of the ones with red earlobes lay brown eggs. But there are exceptions, such as:

Dorkings have red earlobes and lay white eggs.
Ameraucanas have red earlobes and lay blue eggs.
Penedesencas have white earlobes and lay dark brown eggs.

And mixed breed chickens (like many Easter Eggers) can have any combination of egg color and earlobe color.

The reason that earlobe can sort-of predict egg color is just because of what people chose when creating the breeds. There is no link between the genes for earlobe color and the genes for egg color.

Not necessarily.

Among pure breeds of chickens that lay either white or brown eggs, most of the ones with red earlobes lay brown eggs. But there are exceptions, such as:

Dorkings have red earlobes and lay white eggs.
Ameraucanas have red earlobes and lay blue eggs.
Penedesencas have white earlobes and lay dark brown eggs.

And mixed breed chickens (like many Easter Eggers) can have any combination of egg color and earlobe color.

The reason that earlobe can sort-of predict egg color is just because of what people chose when creating the breeds. There is no link between the genes for earlobe color and the genes for egg color.
I see.

IMG-6810.jpg
one on left was her first and one on right is from today.

she has not even squated yet and i know for sure she is not laying.
Not all of my chickens squat for me. The only way I know who laid what egg is if they all decided to lay the same day. Except for my brahma, since I only have 1. She lays this narrow pointy egg and she's the only one that lays that shape and size. Other than that, I've never seen my hens lay eggs. Sometimes I can guess who laid - if they were just in the nest box, I hear the egg song, and then find a warm egg - then I can also guess who laid that particular egg.

Back
Top Bottom