My bator is ready! I am nervous, have a question or two...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Alaska animal lover, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Alaska animal lover

Alaska animal lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    Palmer, Alaska
    I just got my Genesis 1588 set up and it has been running steady and holding at 100 degrees. The auto turner is in.
    I will be picking up some eggs locally today. I have the Acu Rite thermometer w/humidity sensor. I think I have covered all the bases.
    Okay, so my auto turner will hold 40 eggs. How many do you recommend putting in at one time?
    How long should I let the eggs sit before putting them in the bator if they were just laid today?
    At what temp?
    Thanks everyone!

2. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    If they haven't been shipped, I think you can put them right in the 'bator. If they're cool, just let them come up to room temperature first.
    Oh, and 40, of course... you can't just fill an incubator half way!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
  3. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Sounds like you're set. You can put in as many as it will hold!

4. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    If you hand turn you can fit more:) also your hatch rate will be improved. But if you have a genesis, you can expect 40 chicks:lol:[​IMG]

5. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    That is really the best bator. I love mine. You will have a good success rate. Please fill it up.[​IMG]

6. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    As many as you can get in there. The more you have, the more thermal buffering they will provide. In other words, more stable temps.

7. Alaska animal lover

Apr 30, 2008
    Palmer, Alaska
    Hmm...fill it up!
    I knew you all would say that!

8. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I have mine running too. I have some that are on day 7 tomorrow and some I just set yesterday [​IMG] I have a hovabator 1588 too! LOVE IT! This is my second hatch with it and it's always kept the right temp and I also have the same thermometer/hygrometer that you have and that has always been reliable too [​IMG] Good luck! I have mine half full [​IMG]

9. Alaska animal lover

Apr 30, 2008
    Palmer, Alaska
    Well, I put in 3 doz tonight, so tomorrow will be day one right? I have a mix of standards, and I had to try some bantams, I only took 6 though.[​IMG]

10. Joy1

Joy1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Lancashire,England
    Yes ,day 1 only 20 more to go. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by