My beautiful, Sweet Angelika dead on Memorial Day morning.

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by chuckzoo, May 31, 2011.

1. chuckzoo

chuckzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    I have comiserated with many of you who have lost a favorite hen and now I am on the same side.

We were awakened at 6:00am in Memorial Day morning with Daisy cackling. My husband went to quiet her as it was early and we did not want to disturb the neighbors. He came back to tell me one of our hens was dead! When I asked which hen he said he was not sure, but it was one of the "golden girls" as he referred to our buff rocks. He had taken her out of the run as the others were begining to show "interest" in her.

Recently Angelika was broody and the others were picking on her. During the day I had separated her in a little pen (at night she slept in the coop) with no nesting box and a fan to break the broodiness. I cooled her belly down from time to time with cool water as one poster had suggested. It worked and I put her back with her flockmates and all seemed ok except that they still picked on her occasionally. I kept a close eye on things.

The only thing I can think of that there was a scuffle and she was shoved out of the coop and may have broken her neck on the ramp. There was not a mark on her beautiful body.

My husband dug the perfect little grave for her under the shade of the Japanese maples trees. We covered her body with sweetpea flowers and kale - her favorite greens- and laid a travertine slab over her grave.

I am so sad. It is rare that one finds such a quiet, sweet hen. She used to peck gently at my clothes and then come and sit on my lap. I would stroke her head and she would close her eyes.

I miss my Angelika.
    [​IMG]

2. stonerose69

stonerose69 Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2011
    I am truely sorry to hear about the loss of your beautifull hen Angelika [​IMG]
    It sounds like she had a lovely happy life with you and was really loved. RIP Angelika x x

3. teresa-78

teresa-78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    England
    I am so sorry for your loss [​IMG] [​IMG] She was a beautiful hen [​IMG]

4. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    She's beautiful and sounds like she was so sweet. I'm sorry for your loss.

5. chuckzoo

chuckzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    Thank you.

I can only hope one day I will have another hen as beautiful as she was and with her sweet disposition.

6. Sassafras

Sassafras Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2011
    N.H.
    I'm sorry. Sometimes you do everything right and still bad things happen.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'm very sorry about your pretty girl. So many things can happen with chickens, but I'd rather risk all that than never to have had them at all. They're such wonderful creatures.

8. zengrrl

zengrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Oakland County, MI
    I am so very sorry for your loss. I lost my sweet Ugg the same day as well. Its always tough to lose one of your favorites.

9. Keltara

Keltara Chillin' With My Peeps

Awwww....I am so sorry. I hope that soon God fills the hole that Angelika left in your heart. [​IMG]

10. lowry075

lowry075 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Southern California
    So sorry, she was a beautiful girl. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by