My beautiful, Sweet Angelika dead on Memorial Day morning.

Aweful Just Aweful......My sympathy for you & your family. We had the same thing here last week. I thought the same, broken neck in the night, come to find out we had a black snake in the barn. Was killing broodies for their eggs. Caught it in the act & did it in. It would wrap around them, break the hens neck, then eat the eggs. Got 4 hens here in two weeks. Never had a snake do that before, usually they try to eat them & leave slim on them. You might want to look around the coop for a snake. Again so sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

Brody's Broodello :

Aweful Just Aweful......My sympathy for you & your family. We had the same thing here last week. I thought the same, broken neck in the night, come to find out we had a black snake in the barn. Was killing broodies for their eggs. Caught it in the act & did it in. It would wrap around them, break the hens neck, then eat the eggs. Got 4 hens here in two weeks. Never had a snake do that before, usually they try to eat them & leave slim on them. You might want to look around the coop for a snake. Again so sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

I checked the coop for snakes. The only snake I have ever seen around our subdivision is a little garden snake.

I am assuming Angelika died from a broken neck based on my husband's description on how she was laying when he found her. I thought I had heard scratching earlier in the morning as though she were trying to retain her foothold on the ramp, that is why I thought there may have been a scuffle as they were leaving the coop.

It must have happened about 5:30am since my husband found her at 6:00am and her body was still warm.

I wish I knew how it happened, not that it would bring her back, just for my own peace of mind.​

What a bummer! So sorry. I lost one of my precious D'Uccle pullets a while back. I think the best thing to do is have a nice "funeral service" as it is expected to lose some of our beloved birds. I cremated Fiesta with a nice afternoon campfire and mourned her as she burned. I prefer cremation, for some reason. She had a very nice funeral pyre and we said goodbye.

Back
Top Bottom