My Bella did not come home tonight.

Matt Noah

In the Brooder
Oct 19, 2020
I have two chickens and a rooster. The neighbors have 8 chickens and we are surrounded by cornfields. Bella is the last remaining of the original four chicks that I got. She’s four years old. Tonight she did not come home. My rooster and my other chick came back around the usual time but she did not. Sometimes one may stay out a little late hanging out with the neighbor chicks. But I checked there, I counted and seen that all of them are home safe. I’m worried maybe she could be lost in one of the fields. They go in there a lot but always know how to get back. I walked though portions of the main ones iv seen them in calling her name, playing a roosters crowing on YouTube. Anything that would get her attention to know which way to come. I’m scared cause I know there is coyotes around the fields at night. She’s tough and if there were not predators I’d give her the benefit to figure out when the sun came back out, I don’t know. Iv posted on my local animal lost page on Facebook. I’m just sick right now. How am I gonna sleep knowing she’s out there by herself. She showed no indication of being sick, I just don’t get it. I just don’t get how she could of lost her direction or lost the rest of the pack. I feel helpless.

oh no!! I hope she turns up to! I have no experience with chickens but I once found my duck by walking around the area jiggling treats and food around in her metal food bowl. The noise coaxed her out very quickly. It sounds like youre doing everything you can 💞

She did not turn back up in the morning to my extreme disappointment. My rooster I can tell is looking. We are just surrounded on all sides by cornfields so it’s just impossible to cover every inch. Though iv tried. I’m running out of energy. I was out there in the middle of the night to starting looking at 5am. I just wish there was a clue, a feather, a noise. Birds swarming an area. I just have nothing to go on. I’m fearing the worst may be true. But even than I’d like to find her body so I could bury her next to her sister. The not knowing is the worst.

I'm really sorry to hear this. I'll keep hoping she comes back. I definitely know the feeling of helplessness. The not knowing is for sure the worst. It keeps one from getting closure. Sending all my good mojo to you and Bella.

I have lost chickens where I found the bodies and knew what happened. I have lost a duck where I found feathers and knew what happened.

I have had chickens who stayed out overnight and worried me sick but came back in the morning. I can't imagine how awful it must be not knowing where she is, if she is still okay.

My place is also surrounded by fields and coyotes, and I've been sick to my stomach with worry when a hen is missing.

Maybe, just maybe, she is off trying to create a nest and will come home with little ones. I never give up hope, until I have proof that I absolutely have to.

I hope Bella is just enjoying some freedom and comes home. Let us know how this progresses, please.

Back
Top Bottom