My Big Red Broilers

Today was the day. We processed 11 BRBs. There were 12 red cockerels, but the twelfth one looks and weighs more like an egg-laying breed than a meat bird. About the same size as the Blue Andalusian McMurray sent as my extra chicken.

Back to the broilers. They ranged in weight from 5 1/2 - 7 1/2 lbs. All had a layer of fat, so I don’t think anyone was starving. All were nice looking carcasses.

View attachment 3214033View attachment 3214034
These were a couple of the bigger ones.

I did not attempt to spatchcock any of them today. I kept four whole ones, so I can try it when I cook one. After all the rest of the processing, I just didn’t feel like it tonight.
Nice looking birds, nice clean processing. What are you using as a scalder set up?

Nice looking birds, nice clean processing. What are you using as a scalder set up?
Just hot water heated on the stove, poured into a clean 5 gallon bucket and carried outside. In the past we have used an old camp stove and heated it outside, but DH couldn’t find the connections yesterday. I have no idea the temperature of the water. DH grew up processing chickens, and he can tell by the feel of the water when it’s right. Most of the feathers practically wipe off, tail and wing feathers come out with little effort. (Picking the feathers off is my least favorite part - I just hate the smell of wet feathers and how they stick to everything. 😆)

Just hot water heated on the stove, poured into a clean 5 gallon bucket and carried outside. In the past we have used an old camp stove and heated it outside, but DH couldn’t find the connections yesterday. I have no idea the temperature of the water. DH grew up processing chickens, and he can tell by the feel of the water when it’s right. Most of the feathers practically wipe off, tail and wing feathers come out with little effort. (Picking the feathers off is my least favorite part - I just hate the smell of wet feathers and how they stick to everything. 😆)
I've done the hot water camp stove (ok, the "outside kitchen" in the back out for my RV) several times, never had the water just perfect I guess - that's nice clean work. I'm impressed.

Today was the day. We processed 11 BRBs. There were 12 red cockerels, but the twelfth one looks and weighs more like an egg-laying breed than a meat bird. About the same size as the Blue Andalusian McMurray sent as my extra chicken.

Back to the broilers. They ranged in weight from 5 1/2 - 7 1/2 lbs. All had a layer of fat, so I don’t think anyone was starving. All were nice looking carcasses.

View attachment 3214033View attachment 3214034
These were a couple of the bigger ones.

I did not attempt to spatchcock any of them today. I kept four whole ones, so I can try it when I cook one. After all the rest of the processing, I just didn’t feel like it tonight.
What beautiful birds! The weight ranges that you got...was that live or dressed weight at 12 weeks? What feed did you use, if I may ask.
I am looking for a good flavorful broiler with excellent dark meat development; not so much breast as with Cornish cross. In your opinion how's the dark meat on these birds?
thx in advance
Anyone else who wishes to chime in about dark meat, feel free...I'm open to suggestions.

What beautiful birds! The weight ranges that you got...was that live or dressed weight at 12 weeks? What feed did you use, if I may ask.
I am looking for a good flavorful broiler with excellent dark meat development; not so much breast as with Cornish cross. In your opinion how's the dark meat on these birds?
thx in advance
Anyone else who wishes to chime in about dark meat, feel free...I'm open to suggestions.
The weight was dressed weight. We fed them a locally milled grower feed, food scraps from the house and garden, and whatever they caught or foraged while free ranging. They were about 6 weeks old when we first started them free ranging (a little later than we typically let our meat birds out to range, but life kept getting in the way).

The weight was dressed weight. We fed them a locally milled grower feed, food scraps from the house and garden, and whatever they caught or foraged while free ranging. They were about 6 weeks old when we first started them free ranging (a little later than we typically let our meat birds out to range, but life kept getting in the way).
Wow, what a great yield. Thank you so much. I will probably give these a go next year. I have some niederrheiners from McMurray that are fast growing but they vary too much in size to make a predictable and sustainable meat bird crop. When I butcher I want to do it and be done 😜

Back
Top Bottom