My biggest predator!

AnaD

Songster
8 Years
Jan 27, 2011
N. Ca
Turns out is my daughter. She likes to roar and yell at the chickens and today she tried to chase them with a rake! She doesn't understand why she can't hold them and kiss them like dogs. How do you train your children not to chase or be rough with chickens? I was more worried about how my dogs would be with the chickens and forgot about how the terrible two year old would behave around them. Self control isn't one of her stronger points.
barnie.gif

Quote:
well said, I agree.

X3 and I'd also add that you won't want to leave her alone with them, even for just a minute until your sure she understands that they're living things not animated stuffed animals.

Toddlers don't really have the capacity to understand death yet or the cause and effect relationship of chasing and squeezing the chickens resulting in dead birds, but they can/do have the ability to understand what things are "no no's" and what behaviours are off limits so I'd explain it to her on that level and wait on the more complicated stuff until she's a bit older.

TRUST ME! I wouldn't blink an eye if she were allowed near the chicks. SHE ISN'T.

Just because this picture says it all and it is my new favorite picture of her...

78206_feb_6_11_001.jpg

NO and a swat on the butt always worked for my kids. I guess that's politically incorrect in today's world?

This is why I don't have or don't plan to have kids
hide.gif

I'd say punishment is in need here. . . Or, if you don't believe in forms of punishment, teaching her a lesson of some sort. I was raised in a family to respect animals, and especially understand animal behavior. Even doing things like trying to play with dogs when they're eating or chewing on a bone as a BIG no-no.

Keep the kid on a leash or fenced away from the birds. (well that's what I would say for dogs......I always figure I'll need a leash for my kid if I ever have one)
But in all seriousness, I'd fence the chickens safely away and lock the gate, so even if you slip up supervising them it won't be holy terror. That's what I'd do anyway.

Back
Top Bottom