My biopsy (photos are graphic)

Aug 31, 2019
Hughes Wildlife Farm, MA
Justcas a reminder, I posted a real life deceased chicken.. Don't continue, if your squemish.
6 month old, Polish Crested, "Tina Turner". I did my monthly health checks this week and although Tina was acting as normal as her coop mates when I let them out every morning, I entered the coop on Wednesday night to do a full body check on the girls, and I almost stepped on her, as she was in the middle of the coop and not on the roosts with everyone else. Odd I thought, as I picked her up I felt (what I thought was her crop) but almost tennis ball sized, and hard as a rock On her chest.. Later relized that it's on her right side (not her left as a crop should be) as I felt around, I relized the dried blood on it and a second hard Gulf ball size lump on her neck.. Both with external scab tissue, dry blood, and missing feathers. Because at this time I wasnt thinking of crop placement, I thought impacted crop and brought her inside to treat with oil to soften crop and monitor stools.. I figured she may have caused the second smaller wound while trying to pick at the impacted crop... Her stools were bright green yellow and runny for these past 4 days. She was eatting her food and drinking just fine, and runs away everytime I enter to reload food and water..
Somthing clicked in my brain today that isn't her crop... I can't even find her crop, but she was definatly eatting.
So I did dispatch her today and did my own disection to see what was going on.. Looked to be 2 tumors (neither were attached to any major organs) (pictured below, I did cut the tumors in half to see the inside). And crop was found, completely empty.
Her sister is currently having a necropsy done, but she had no tumors on her body.. She was just not standing or walking)
Any thoughts on the stool, organs or tumors in the photos 're very welcomed.
After realizing the tumors were not attached, I feel they couldve been removed with out death being an option... Ugh
20200111_071453.jpg
20200111_071428.jpg
20200111_144535.jpg
20200111_144542.jpg
20200111_150346.jpg
20200111_150152.jpg
20200111_150435.jpg
20200111_150108.jpg

So sorry!
They are masses of some sort, and without histopath. I doubt they can really be identified.
When do you get results from her sister's necropsy? If Marek's disease, these could be related to that issue.
PLEASE always wear gloves when doing this!!! There are things that we can all share, don't take risks with abnormals, ever.
Mary

The masses were not attched to the esophagus or anything.. Esophagus looked really clean and pink.. I could not tell were it was coming from, other than from thin membranes under the skin. I hate how much feathers cover imperfections, I couldve seen it sooner.
Necropsy on her sister suggested Mareks but waiting on biopsy results on a soft tissue mass that was expanding from esophagus, lung, and heart, to come back.

Necropsy came in today.. Positive testing for Mareks Herpavirus 1 for this girls sister.
Its great to know, as we have new chicks hatching soon. And I got the vaccine in, so chicks can be in complete isolation and vaccinated. I have only slowly lost this new batch of chicks, from the Fall chick season.. Thankfully all my 2yr old girls have not had any symptoms or losses..

Attachments

• 1579040812807_877820.pdf
    117.9 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom