My birds are getting old :(

shelleyd2008

the bird is the word
11 Years
Sep 14, 2008
Adair Co., KY
I went out to the quail pen yesterday to find my last remaining red coturnix hen was dead
sad.png
She was about 2 years old. I know they should live a little longer but it seems like 2 years is about the cut-off around here. Most of the rest are nearing or over the 2 year mark so I'm expecting a lot more loss this year. Hopefully it won't be too hot this summer because the too cold winter sure did a number on them. This past fall, when I put 4 new (younger) birds in the pen there were 25 birds. Now there are only 17
sad.png

for laying hens 2 years is about average if your not selling/hatching eggs put in a fake clutch of eggs and give her a break, then also supply calcium suppliment should help extend the life span a year or 2

Quote:
This is in the quail forum, not the chicken forums. Coturnix quail won't go for a clutch of eggs. They very rarely go broody and even if they do, rarely actually stay on the eggs. They also absorb calcium differently than chickens.

So sorry Shelly, about your red hen. They live too short no matter if you add a year or two or not. Look forward to hatching more babies. I hope you had some of her progeny. We all know you do a fabulous job with your birds. We all know she probably had a great life under your care.

Tonya

I am new to quail so is this sudden death normal? I got about 25 last fall that were 8-10 weeks old and have lost 3 or 4 in the last 2 months. I didn't lose any during the cold of winter. They look fine and then one would be dead in the morning. They can't hit their head on anything but maybe they hit the side of the cage.

Back
Top Bottom