My birds are getting old :(

This year has been crazy with the weather. I would think that JJ and Alex have better luck because of the warmer weather. Here it gets 100+ in the summer and single digits in the winter. When this girl died we had experienced 80 degree weather one day and 30's the next. I think the huge temp swings contribute to their deaths. So far it's only hens, and mine are seasonal layers since I don't keep lights on them. I guess I need to start heating their pen since it seems to really affect them. I didn't have any problems year before last except for rats getting in their pens...now that they are secure I think it's the widely ranging temperatures that are getting them.

Quote:
Yes but Stella is a boy
wink.png

I don't know the exact expiration date on any coturnix, but look on the bright side Shelly!
A portion of my stock came from yours. The rosettas in particular, and since a portion of those could be from your reds, then I may have 2nd generation offspring from that very hen, not to mention 3rd+ generations crossed with this that and the other thing.

You spread her gens to the four corners of the contiguous US. in about 2 years. Something that she could not have done on her own if she lived to be 100.

I lost my oldest (Non special colored little brown hen) during the rather nasty winter weather, so I do know a bit about how you feel.

The Queen is dead! LONG LIVE THE QUEEN!

Aww
hugs.gif
I had my first adult coturnix die the other day. Somehow got lodged in between the door and the piece of wood that keeps the straw in their box. Made me to freaking ticked at myself. She was a brand new layer. Now I'm down to 1 italian
hit.gif

I was hoping to get some Reds from you this year to
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom