My birds are in their new home but not eating?

Underwhere

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 2, 2010
I got 3 silkies and 2 pekins yesterday.

They are all about 6-7 months old.
I bought a 50 pound bag of organic Green Mountain layer pellets they don't seem to want to eat any of it.

Is the opening of my feeder too small?
Do they not like this food?

Are they just nervous? If I feed them chopped cucumbers they will eat.

296ivbn.jpg

2rh4cn7.jpg

What were they eating before you got them? If they were only eating crumbles then they might not know that the pellets are food yet.

Quote:
To be honest I never asked what they were eating...only assumed they would eat what I have.
Can I grind up the pellets into crumbles?

That's a really nice feeder. Hens are so busy, they usually find anything that seems edible. Maybe those pellets just don't look edible. I have to say, I've tried the Green Mountain organic pellets, and my flock wouldn't eat it either. It smelled musty or something to me. Try something different just to see, some crumbles or scratch for now, and veggies and treats. Sorry, but that was my experience with the pellets also.

If they've never had pellets before, then they don't know its food. Try putting some of the chopped cucumber on top of the pellets. Or just about any vegetable or treat. Once they start eating the treat off the top they are bound to get a few pellets and start eating them.

Thanks for the advice.

This morning I took a few handfuls of the pellets and mashed then up as best I could.

I presented it to them in 2 small cups and they seemed to go for it.

I'll check when I get home. I may have to spend some time crushing a 50 pound bag of pellets:(

Back
Top Bottom