My birds. Unsure if one is a boy or girl?

Here are my birds. The black one and the two reds are female Sexlinks. The store was unsure about the breed and gender of this fourth one. It has lots of feathers on it's legs and feet, and a more pronounce comb which is much more red that the other three. Ironically my daughter named this one Bob. I think she jinxed me and we ended up with a cockerel here. Any thoughts from y'all on breed and gender?
View attachment 2663211View attachment 2663213View attachment 2663214View attachment 2663216
Were these bought from tractor supply? Cuz I know they sell production reds, sex links, and bantams..

These are Production Rhode Island Reds in their sand box.
P1010053.JPG

Were these bought from tractor supply? Cuz I know they sell production reds, sex links, and bantams..
No I got them at a feed store where I get all my deer and cattle feed. They had the black one and 2 reds identified as Sex-Links when I bought them and said they were females. All the other females were spoken for so we took our best guess with the gold laced cochin.

No I got them at a feed store where I get all my deer and cattle feed. They had the black one and 2 reds identified as Sex-Links when I bought them and said they were females. All the other females were spoken for so we took our best guess with the gold laced cochin.
Yeah, red sex links are similar to production reds.

Here are some of my pure Rhode Island Reds and some Red Sex-Links. I had some single comb female Rhode Island Whites (which are generally Rose Comb) I was breeding with a Rhode Island Red male to make the Red Sex-Links.
IMG_3736.JPG

IMG_3737.JPG

Now I'm not sure what to do? This is our first time with chickens, but I don't think I want a rooster. But we've had them since they were only a few days old so I don't really want to get rid of him either. They are currently about 7 weeks old. What are my options here?

I don't really know how this works. I wanted hens just to lay eggs for us. What if I keep the roo? He breeds my hens and then they lay fertilized eggs that are not good for eating? I don't want to breed and raise more chicks. Just want some hens to lay eggs for eating. And due to the size of my coop, I don't want any more than 4-5 chickens. Any advice?

Now I'm not sure what to do? This is our first time with chickens, but I don't think I want a rooster. But we've had them since they were only a few days old so I don't really want to get rid of him either. They are currently about 7 weeks old. What are my options here?

I don't really know how this works. I wanted hens just to lay eggs for us. What if I keep the roo? He breeds my hens and then they lay fertilized eggs that are not good for eating? I don't want to breed and raise more chicks. Just want some hens to lay eggs for eating. And due to the size of my coop, I don't want any more than 4-5 chickens. Any advice?
A rooster is good to have around, whether or not you want to raise chicks
Your option would be to cull him...
or
- Roosters are great protectors of a flock.
- They like to find food for their hens
- You CAN eat fertilized eggs- they are completely safe. Until you start incubating, nothing is developed yet. (except tiny embryo - a dot)

I would totally keep the rooster. Especially because he's bonded with his flock.

If you don't have much space, I wouldn't stress. He's a bantam so he's smaller. He won't take up too much space.

A rooster is good to have around, whether or not you want to raise chicks
Your option would be to cull him...
or
- Roosters are great protectors of a flock.
- They like to find food for their hens
- You CAN eat fertilized eggs- they are completely safe. Until you start incubating, nothing is developed yet. (except tiny embryo - a dot)

I would totally keep the rooster. Especially because he's bonded with his flock.

If you don't have much space, I wouldn't stress. He's a bantam so he's smaller. He won't take up too much space.

Back
Top Bottom