My birds. Unsure if one is a boy or girl?

When I got my first flock I was only interested in eggs. Some years later like you I got some chicks from a feed store that were supposed to be females but I did get a male. From then on I have kept the males. I do breed my own birds and around half will be males. I do grow them out and keep the best as my future breeders and sell the rest which helps offset the cost of the feed. As you may have guessed I love to take pictures. Here are some of my past males.
2014-02-22 09.01.44.jpg

This is a young male I sold to a young girl. She showed him in the youth division and got a champion with him. I love my Reds.
2015-01-10 14.22.29.jpg
IMG_3335.JPG
IMG_3455.JPG
IMG_3566.JPG

When I got my first flock I was only interested in eggs. Some years later like you I got some chicks from a feed store that were supposed to be females but I did get a male. From then on I have kept the males. I do breed my own birds and around half will be males. I do grow them out and keep the best as my future breeders and sell the rest which helps offset the cost of the feed. As you may have guessed I love to take pictures. Here are some of my past males.
View attachment 2663342
This is a young male I sold to a young girl. She showed him in the youth division and got a champion with him. I love my Reds.
View attachment 2663345View attachment 2663348View attachment 2663350View attachment 2663351
I love your birds! I used to love reading your contributions to the heritage RIR thread years ago. One of the reasons I eventually got some of my RC RIRs of my own :)

I just really dont think it's a good idea to keep him. We are first time chicken owners with zero experience. Everything I read on here say roosters can be a challenge, even more so for newbies. And I have no interest in hatching and raising baby chicks.

Plus I only have 3 hens. That's not enough? The rooster will wear them out, correct?

But I do want 4-5 chickens and if I get rid of the cockerel I will only have 3. From reading this site however, it would not be a good idea to try and introduce a single new bird to the flock. Is that accurate?

I guess for now I'll just observe and let them continue to grow and when he reaches maturity figure out what to do with him.

I'm not sure where in Texas you are put you could probably sell him at a swap. We have one a couple times a month and I sell the males I don't want to keep. Being new at chicken keeping I don't blame you for not wanting a male and hatching chicks. Some day you might but you can always get another of the breed of your choice should you decide on hatching, I have chicks that were supposed to hatch tomorrow but some decided to hatch today. Again, good luck and have fun with your flock...
https://www.poultryshowcentral.com/Texas_Swap.html

I love your birds! I used to love reading your contributions to the heritage RIR thread years ago. One of the reasons I eventually got some of my RC RIRs of my own :)
I haven't posted there for quite a long time. I love my RC's and SC's. I have never crossed lines and still have my original lines. I have some due to hatch tomorrow.

I just really dont think it's a good idea to keep him. We are first time chicken owners with zero experience. Everything I read on here say roosters can be a challenge, even more so for newbies. And I have no interest in hatching and raising baby chicks.

Plus I only have 3 hens. That's not enough? The rooster will wear them out, correct?

But I do want 4-5 chickens and if I get rid of the cockerel I will only have 3. From reading this site however, it would not be a good idea to try and introduce a single new bird to the flock. Is that accurate?

I guess for now I'll just observe and let them continue to grow and when he reaches maturity figure out what to do with him.
I understand about not wanting a rooster. We dont want one either. Thankfully we've never ended up with one but we decided if we ever did then it would be raised then butchered. Of course I understand if some people decide not to do that. I've seen where some people have kept 1 boy to 3-4 females. That will depend on the rooster as none are the same. I would make a plan b just in case it ends up not working out. Butcher, sell, or give away.

Here's some updated pics. Almost 8 weeks old now and are growing fast. Are y'all still thinking the red ones are Production Reds? Also, do you see any other cockerels other than the Gold Laced Cochin?
chx.jpg
chx2.jpg
chx3.jpg
chx4.jpg
chx6.jpg
chx7.jpg
chx8.jpg
chx9.jpg
chx10.jpg
chx11.jpg
chx12.jpg

Back