My black silkie

My friend on insta has a Silkie hen named Snow, she had a huge comb when she was a baby. And ended up laying an egg. And she said Smokey looks a lot like her Silkie hens. And I do think Smokey is a girl. She should start laying soon so I’ll definitely keep you updated 💕 btw that is such a handsome boy. Lol here’s my boy he’s 6 years old and I remeber when he was 4-5 months like Smokey he started mating the other girls. And Smokey eats 24/7 and pecks And is showing no mating activity with her. Here’s my boy btw his name is snowball
E26CA1D3-C737-4359-B499-C34EACEEB8B3.jpeg
snowball had a flat comb and ended up being roo. But I’ll definitely keep you updated on Smokey💕

My friend on insta has a Silkie hen named Snow, she had a huge comb when she was a baby. And ended up laying an egg. And she said Smokey looks a lot like her Silkie hens. And I do think Smokey is a girl. She should start laying soon so I’ll definitely keep you updated 💕 btw that is such a handsome boy. Lol here’s my boy he’s 6 years old and I remeber when he was 4-5 months like Smokey he started mating the other girls. And Smokey eats 24/7 and pecks And is showing no mating activity with her. Here’s my boy btw his name is snowball View attachment 3146760snowball had a flat comb and ended up being roo. But I’ll definitely keep you updated on Smokey💕
I think it's a quality issue if the hens have large combs, which they shouldn't. If your bird is actually a girl, then that's probably what she is.

He has the recessive smooth comb gene that effects walnut combs. Cockerels with it will often have flat combs, but smooth without horns.

I think it's a quality issue if the hens have large combs, which they shouldn't. If your bird is actually a girl, then that's probably what she is.

He has the recessive smooth comb gene that effects walnut combs. Cockerels with it will often have flat combs, but smooth without horns.
Yes kuz she did have a bumpy comb when she was little ( here she is with the bumpy comb )
E771A56C-9A75-4EE5-A29A-D596B808455A.png

then her now:
DF5882FE-8E82-47FC-A2EA-6DC06377EEE7.jpeg

it’s funny kuz I had a buff Brahma that had a huge red comb at a young age and she ended up being a girl ( I gave her to my friend and she’s broody rn lol )

But yes I also think it’s a quality issue too. Kuz she’s 5 months now and showing no signs of roo. and there’s a whole spiritual story behind her too. And I definitely think/ know she’s a girl. But I’ll definitely keep you updated 💕

My Silkie named Dandelion had the slicked back crest, what looked like streamer feathers, and an attitude. He was a great little cockerel!

Then he laid an egg.

That was 2 years ago. It's still a joke in our household how Dandelion is the cockerel who laid an egg. She's a good mama, so I'm very glad he is actually a she.

Point is that it's soooo hard to tell with Silkies, esp hatchery Silkies.

My Silkie named Dandelion had the slicked back crest, what looked like streamer feathers, and an attitude. He was a great little cockerel!

Then he laid an egg.

That was 2 years ago. It's still a joke in our household how Dandelion is the cockerel who laid an egg. She's a good mama, so I'm very glad he is actually a she.

OMG 😂😂😂😂 that’s Awesome, Yeah that’s why silkies are so hard to sex. You might think it’s a cockerel Then it ends up being a hen or a hen then a cockerel lol.

Then he laid an egg.

I have some updated pics of her lol. I swear she’s getting puffier anf puffier every week 😂😂😂😂💕

Attachments

• 4E49EFEB-1B2F-41EA-B970-F888845D6F5E.jpeg
    4E49EFEB-1B2F-41EA-B970-F888845D6F5E.jpeg
    266.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 4586736F-274B-4466-8EE8-6CE2F6576D61.png
    4586736F-274B-4466-8EE8-6CE2F6576D61.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 2
  • BBC6B6D4-CB0D-4BF3-9E12-9052FA2FCF33.jpeg
    BBC6B6D4-CB0D-4BF3-9E12-9052FA2FCF33.jpeg
    231.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 71E5FD9C-B43B-4D65-9E70-66EB3BF595AB.jpeg
    71E5FD9C-B43B-4D65-9E70-66EB3BF595AB.jpeg