My black silkie

Pics
That's floofy.
Here’s Smokey 2 lol (The girl one)
64D6DEDB-2683-487A-8D00-D209051ED422.jpeg

77EBC242-047D-4BEF-B14B-DE664E802285.jpeg

I think it's a quality issue if the hens have large combs, which they shouldn't. If your bird is actually a girl, then that's probably what she is.

He has the recessive smooth comb gene that effects walnut combs. Cockerels with it will often have flat combs, but smooth without horns.
Yes kuz she did have a bumpy comb when she was little ( here she is with the bumpy comb )
E771A56C-9A75-4EE5-A29A-D596B808455A.png

then her now:
DF5882FE-8E82-47FC-A2EA-6DC06377EEE7.jpeg

it’s funny kuz I had a buff Brahma that had a huge red comb at a young age and she ended up being a girl ( I gave her to my friend and she’s broody rn lol )

I believe I'm seeing some streamers starting. Occasionally females can have streamers too, but it's not common.
Hi mystery chicken, I have an update on Smokey. He turned out a boy. He’s starting to put his wing down at me and his face is starting to turn red. And I’m noticing him about to crow too. But good news is im still keeping him and one of my moms friends in Derry has some black silkie girls I can add to my flock ( I’m only getting 1 ) so I’ll have a Smokey boy & a Smokey girl lol 2 from the price of 1 😂😂😂 I’ll basically have 2 smokies

I'm thinking cockerel based on comb. I've never had pullets with raised comb ridges. If there's any ridges on a pullets comb, they're usually flatter, & less prominent, occasionally you'll have some with horns like the example picture you posted.

She doesn’t act like a cockerel tho, and I have a friend on insta who said her Silkie had a huge comb as a baby and turned out to be female??? That’s what’s tricky about silkies
Some do, but most females don't have a large comb at that age.

One of my pullets at about 5-6 weeks.
20210614_144229.jpg

She's all grown up now.

I’m thinking cockerel. It’s still to young to say for certain so send updated pictures at 9 weeks.

The amount of food they consume has nothing to do with gender. I’ve noticed that often roosters don’t start displaying rooster behaviours until they are around 6-10 weeks, sometimes shorter sometimes longer. The parallel line comb is most likely more common in females, doesn’t mean males can’t get it or females always have it. I will say, I have never heard anyone determine a Silkies gender based of if they have parallel lines in their combs or not, I don’t think it’s that trustworthy to be honest.

Back
Top Bottom