My Blue Orpington is a Cochin? Or not?

This is what the breeder said: "I only had blue orpingtons that I know of. I also went to great lengths to get roosters from other areas but you never know for sure. I am going to mix the breed in future because I can't find a rooster that isn't related."

I imagine then that one of his roosters was not actually pure Blue Orpington? I wonder what this cockerel's two sisters will turn out to be.

I'm glad you all think he's pretty! He's a very sweet boy.

He's very cute, but an Orpington he is not. He is too little for one, and the feathered legs would be a no-no from any true Orpington breeder, either English or American. Lots of good guesses posted here. I have seen some blue langshans and blue marans that ended up looking a bit fluffier or dumpier than their standard and of course the cochins. All would look something like him. Either way, I would recomend selling him as a mix, because if you used him with your Orpington stock, those feathered legs will come through and while they may be super adorable, none of the offspring would be worth anything as Orpingtons. Good Luck!

If your cockerel has feathered legs, he is definitely not a Blue Orpington as Orpingtons have dark colored, clean legs. As to whether or not he is a Cochin we would need a photo as there are many breeds (and crosses) with feathered legs. Trying to ID him without a photo is like shooting in the dark. I'll look forward to seeing your picture.
why could a blue buff top not mate with a Cochin to get the feathered legs?

Back
Top Bottom