My BR have turned into B&%$es

bcmama

Songster
8 Years
Jul 12, 2012
My Coop
My Coop
Excuse my language but they have and I am curious as to what I am supposed to do. We currently have 6 hens total, 2 BR, 2EE and 2 silkies. They have all grown up together and are 22 weeks old. They have always gotten along great and I would read posts about pecking order and think how lucky I am that is not happening in our coop. Well it is NOW! In the past three weeks the BR have started to lay eggs and they have just turned incredibly mean to everyone else. None of the others are allowed to eat until they say it's okay. I place in the coop every morning fresh veg and the BR's eat first and go after anyone else that tries to get any. Only after they are done can anyone else have any. You want water, well you have to wait until I have some they say. Now over the last couple of nights they wont let anyone else in the coop and they keep everyone else on the ladder and stand guard at the door. When you try to move them to let the others in they squawk at you and then pick on the others hard, chasing them around pecking at them usually on the head. I just went out to see how everyone was doing after my husband came in from shutting the door and was concerned because the two silkies are huddled in one nest box and the two EE are huddled together in another nest box and the two BR are ruling the roost walking around like they own the place. If another bird comes out of the nest box they peck on them.

Is this normal and why did they turn so nasty all of a sudden? Will it stop once the others start to lay? Anything I can do or should I just butt out and let them establish their dominance? I'm so sad because everyone seems miserable except the two BR B#$@!es.

So I just went out to the coop to check on things and all 4 girls (2 EE and 2 silkies are piled into one nest box with the two BR acting like crazed pterodactyls. One of the EE's has her tail hanging out of the box and there are two white feathers sitting on the floor next to her.

Is this bad?

I think you should remove the bullies and keep them separate from the rest of the flock for a few days. Hens do sometimes undergo a bit of a personality change when they start laying, but extreme aggression is not on.

Thanks. I don't really have a way to separate them as I am an "urban" farmer and only have one coop and restricted to availability of space.

I guess I was hoping someone would say they will work this out as it hasn't always been this way and has only just begun. Just very surprised to see sweet birds not being so nice. I could understand if these were new birds being introduced, but they grew up with each other.

Guess I will just have to wait it out since I can't really separate.

Back
Top Bottom