My broilers are ALL dying

centavo71

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 20, 2009
Northern Alberta
Can't recall being so discouraged in a LONG time! Last Tuesday I received my chicks from Miller Hatcheries - 75 cornish giants and 25 red rock cross. They all seemed healthy until the next day. The broilers started to fall over and get really weak and die. The others were just fine. Within a week (yesterday) I have lost 50 of them! I have talked to the hatchery, they have no idea and have told me to send some of the dead ones to the pathology dept of Alberta agriculture. I haven't got them sent yet, can't until Monday. Meanwhile, I am still losing about 2 a day. I have resigned myself to the fact that I will lose them all. I don't get how one breed is so ill and the others are fine.

Wow.... well.. it would most definitely benefit you and the hatchery to know the cause of these deaths... the necropsies are usually done for free... I would follow the directions of the lab (keep the bodies cold until taking or sending them / overnight them or deliver them in person, fresh is better... even bringing in a live one for necropsy is helpful)... Sorry this is happening, getting the cause or reason will help you and all. Blood tests are cheap at our local ag lab for this as well.. like 40 cents each... necropsy is free... blood work is very cheap.

Good luck.

That's a bummer. Last year I lost 62 meaties in one night to a weasel. That was tough to swallow.

I am sorry for your losses.

Back
Top Bottom