My Broody BO now with chicks has an eye infection

Mom2Cool

Crowing
15 Years
May 8, 2008
Hi all ok so I didn't notice until this afternoon but my 10 month old broody girl has what looks like conjunctivitous (or that's what it looked like in the kids way back in the day) but her eye is swollen & kind of had puss in some of it. My original small flock consisted of 5 hens & 1 Roo. I've done some hatchings & so I've since added to the flock that way. Except for my small flock there are no other birds here except the wild ones and the only new birds are the ones I've hatched... I didn't treat tonight because she was already back in the coop for the night with the chicks & I really wasn't prepaired with anything here & I wasn't sure what to treat with... Is this illness or could it have been injury? She is in with the rest of the flock but just cornered off from the rest with chicken wire... She can get in & out because the top of the wire is open so if she wants the roost with the rest of the flock she can go to it. Everyone else looks fine but so did she up until just this evening. She's not been acting ill & eating & drinking & actually free ranging the yard like she normally would & guiding chicks around just like she'd done from day one. We've had a LOT of rain here in NJ the past week or so & so I don't know if that could have anything to do with it. Anyway I thought I should figure this out now. Do you all think this could just be injury or am I looking at having to put down a flock from illness?

Last edited:
She might just have a scratch.I've heard to flush with sterile saline for eyes and you could put a eye ointment on it (not sure what kind though), but I don't know about eye injures just what I've read on here.....so bump!

Last edited:
yes thanks for the bumping up. I too keep reading about a ointment for the eye... Looks like I'm off to Tracktor supply tomorrow....
smile.png
If that's all it is I'd be happy. & everything else looks fine no nasel discharge or diarrea (sp?) I'm so sleepy I can't even spell here. LOL Anyway thanks again for the answer & bumping me up...

ok so I'm off to the local feed store in just a bit to see if I can find the right kind of ointment but I'd feel better if I had a name for it and to flush with sterile saline for eyes would that be the same kind my husband uses for his contacts? That kind of saline?

ok & once more I'm just using regular sterile saline for eyes as in human eyes the stuff I get in the drug store? ??

ok they had 2 different ones "Steril Eye Wash - Eye Irrigating solution" it's 99.05 purified water. and the other one is "Saline Solution - for use with daily and extended wear soft contact lenses" I think we're just going to use the eye was. & they had the ointment at the local feed store...
smile.png
And I don't mind saying this is NOT something I'm looking forward to. If anyone has any tips I'd appreciate it. I plan to just let hubby use a football hold while I treat as quick as I can.

Back
Top Bottom