My broody coturnix quail

Today’s pic of Mihawk and the gang, the silver one is flight training lol:
1A48FB22-F6C0-44F0-947F-C1F54FF96193.jpeg

I gave Mihawk the runt from a previous hatch, it has some issues, a bit bug eyed and one leg too short, it was last to hatch and I thought for sure it wouldn’t make it. I haven’t intervened and it’s been doing fine. It’s much smaller than it’s hatch mates, the albinos and the pearl are at least 2x it’s size.

This has worked out great, she was happy to have it, and has taken it around showing the food and water. The other chicks snuggle it for warmth since it is more well feathered than the little ones and it makes runty so happy since it’s actual siblings have little interest in cuddles at their age. The runt hasn’t alarm called, and has learned their family language of whirly squeaks and chirps haha.

She left the kids with their adopted cousin haha:
2904CD6A-E424-4EEC-ADAB-6C433B17A203.jpeg

I gave Mihawk the runt from a previous hatch, it has some issues, a bit bug eyed and one leg too short, it was last to hatch and I thought for sure it wouldn’t make it. I haven’t intervened and it’s been doing fine. It’s much smaller than it’s hatch mates, the albinos and the pearl are at least 2x it’s size.

This has worked out great, she was happy to have it, and has taken it around showing the food and water. The other chicks snuggle it for warmth since it is more well feathered than the little ones and it makes runty so happy since it’s actual siblings have little interest in cuddles at their age. The runt hasn’t alarm called, and has learned their family language of whirly squeaks and chirps haha.

View attachment 2720979
That is so adorable! I think it is so awesome that Mihawk is such a good momma!! So neat to see them with a mommy :)

View attachment 2720979
Love it 💜

This past weekend I was collecting celadon eggs for someone. They waited patiently for me to set up my sex links and wait 2 weeks for them to be ready. The day I’m supposed to start collecting, one of my hens hit her head and we ended up culling her because she was paralyzed just below the hip.

No big deal egg wise, I still have plenty of 100% celadons...

I go to the general pop pen, and I see this:
View attachment 2688982View attachment 2688983

This is one of my OGs from last year, Mihawk (I thought she was a boy, took forever to start laying) she has been persistently brooding for about 6 days. I tried to go get the eggs from her at prime laying time while I was collecting for hatching, so she wouldn’t ruin too many.

Today she was sitting on another new pile, a ton of them, so I took her and her eggs inside, and she’s happily brooding them:
View attachment 2688985

Last year she was my most persistent broody, but I never gave her a chance, I’ll see how she does, she isn’t sitting on all of them, I took some away to make a more reasonable amount, most of them feel pretty warm. These are new eggs from yesterday and today, so 1-2 days old on 5/25. I can’t wait to see how she does.
Cute!

Back
Top Bottom