My broody hatched chicks in a wooden box (no lid)...

SEaton611

Chirping
Jun 16, 2019
Midcoast Maine
My first time broody, a brown leghorn, decided to hatch her eggs inside a wooden box and now we have some chicks. Will she take them under her wing to get out of the box to food and water? I was able to move the box to a large dog crate so the rest of the flock can't bother her, but I'm a bit worried about the chicks getting to sustenance. Is this something her instinct will teach her to do, or should I intervene?

I couldn't find anything in existing threads that seemed to match what I have going on, or perhaps I used the wrong keywords. Either way, I'm super curious!

This is also my first time hatching chicks at home instead of ordering, so I'm a bit worried about all possible threats. We had a FROST last night and I was a bit anxious, while Mama Hen just kept her babies nice and warm. Only one of us lost sleep.

I welcome any thoughts/advice you have.

Hi, congrats on your new babies! What day did they hatch? If she still is sitting on eggs, even duds, she won’t want to move yet. The chicks survive on their yolk sack for 48 ish hours. After that I would put the water and crumble close by the cage and she will show them. Mine took about 24 hours after the last one hatched.

Hi, congrats on your new babies! What day did they hatch? If she still is sitting on eggs, even duds, she won’t want to move yet. The chicks survive on their yolk sack for 48 ish hours. After that I would put the water and crumble close by the cage and she will show them. Mine took about 24 hours after the last one hatched.

They hatched yesterday, but there's still a few eggs I expect to hatch tomorrow-ish. Mama did get up a bit earlier to have a snack, and seemed to be showing the babies how to hop up to the edge of the box and then down, but they didn't follow. If we get to the 48hr mark, do you think I should bring them inside and feed/water? I'd prefer to let her raise them, but ultimately I'd prefer them all to live!

I'm trying to picture the box the way you are describing and in my mind, the opening to the box is at the top, correct? If so, is there any way you can reposition the box so the opening is on the side? Something like this?

I agree, Mama's do an excellent job raising their babies and she will show them where/what food and water are even if they have to work for it a little. It would just make it easier if it were more accessible.

I'm trying to picture the box the way you are describing and in my mind, the opening to the box is at the top, correct? If so, is there any way you can reposition the box so the opening is on the side? Something like this?

I agree, Mama's do an excellent job raising their babies and she will show them where/what food and water are even if they have to work for it a little. It would just make it easier if it were more accessible.

Hey,

Thanks for the suggestion. I did have the opening at the top, and it seemed that Mama was having a tough time encouraging her chicks to make the hop so I switched it. Now to just wrap the crate a bit tighter because of the chill but should be okay!

brooder.jpg

Your set up looks great! I wouldn’t interfere at all, she will keep them warm and show them the food. You could also carefully remove them and show them right in front of her, she will call them back if she’s nervous. If she’s still reluctant to leave, you may want to check the unhatched eggs. Unless your hatch was staggered, you may have some duds left and those need to go.

When my hen hatched, I waited two days to move a dud, and then she waited two days before making serious attempts to leave the nest. I know she had left cause she left some big stinky poops for me to clean. So it was really day five before she let the chicks go out and explore.

I’ve got two mommies raising our seven little chicks and I could sit and watch them all day. It is such a rewarding experience and I’m so glad that I gave my chickens a chance to be moms. They’re both four years old and both of them share the duties and they get along great. At night, they all pile up in the floor of the little coop.

Attachments

• A0A29BD1-A69C-4DFE-9DCD-8843FCBF796E.jpeg
    A0A29BD1-A69C-4DFE-9DCD-8843FCBF796E.jpeg
    818.4 KB · Views: 5
Your set up looks great! I wouldn’t interfere at all, she will keep them warm and show them the food. You could also carefully remove them and show them right in front of her, she will call them back if she’s nervous. If she’s still reluctant to leave, you may want to check the unhatched eggs. Unless your hatch was staggered, you may have some duds left and those need to go.

After I shifted the box to be front facing instead of open on the top, she almost immediately took her babies out and showed them food and water, now she's sitting on the remaining clutch again and the babies are using her as a climbing gym. We did do a staggered hatch (mostly because her roomies broke a few of hers before I put her box in the dog crate.

Back
Top Bottom