My Broody Hen Is COVERED In Tiny Bugs?!?

Blueeyez

Songster
Nov 19, 2016
I have a broody hen I've had setting 8 eggs for 2 and a half weeks now. I check her every day but for some reason today after sticking my hand under her to check for babies, to my horror there were HUNDRED of itty bitty little bugs crawling all up my arm. I handle my other chickens pretty often and have never experienced this before but I am very concerned about these 3 things - if it is contagious to the other chickens, contagious to humans & what can I do to help poor little "tiny bird" and her babies expected to hatch next week?

I have a broody hen I've had setting 8 eggs for 2 and a half weeks now. I check her every day but for some reason today after sticking my hand under her to check for babies, to my horror there were HUNDRED of itty bitty little bugs crawling all up my arm. I handle my other chickens pretty often and have never experienced this before but I am very concerned about these 3 things - if it is contagious to the other chickens, contagious to humans & what can I do to help poor little "tiny bird" and her babies expected to hatch next week?
They are likely mites. You can dust her and the nest with permethrin poultry dust.

Back
Top Bottom