1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My broody hen is not leaving the nest

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Lobzi, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

I am a little worried about my broody hen. I scared her off the nest, accidentally while cleaning, the first few days she began sitting. I now am glad I did because at least she ate and pooed before going back. I was more careful in my cleaning of the coop the last two mornings and did NOT scare her off the nest. I felt better about that at the time. Now I am worried because I am not seeing the tell-tale sign of the giant poo blob indicating she left the nest at any time during the day. Im so worried that she is not eating nor drinking. Should I be concerned? I could scare her off the nest but Im afraid in her haste to get off she will break her eggs.
    Any advice on how I should handle this would be greatly appreciated.

2. Lilywater101

Lilywater101 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2009
    I would say just leave her alone for a while, she knows when to get up to do her "business" but if not then try to scare her into eating and pooping![​IMG] Just wait it out and be patient, I would not worry too much.

3. Lobzi

My dad was raised on a farm and that is what he said.... that she knows what to do.
    Thank you for seconding his opinion. I know there is a lot of expertise on BYC so I wanted to ask you guys and gals too!

4. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Just let her be, she will get up and eat and drink and whatever when she needs too. [​IMG]

5. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    i agree. she knows what she's doing. she'll get up when she feels that she needs to. good luck! [​IMG]

6. jay1995

jay1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    St. Augustine, Florida
    She will eventually get hungry and thirsty. And she wont let her self get backed up. LOL Goodluck, -Jay

7. Lobzi

Thank you all for responding. I tried to talk her into coming out this morning and she looked like she might have been sleeping. I read in another thread that broodies go into a trance while sitting on the eggs. I guess she was sweetly dreaming of motherhood. I sure hope so!

8. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:Remember if in doubt, DAD is RIGHT, dads are one of the smartest creatures ever created. [​IMG]

She will eventually get up, you may want to try giving her some treats in the nest box, just to get the process moving, if its going in it has to come out. [​IMG] and you better bring nose plug and shovel [​IMG]

9. Lobzi

Well when I got home from work yesterday I found the huge tell-tail lump of poo so I know she finally left the nest for a bit. Today when I cleaned the coop I tried putting a little dish of meal worms in with her in the nest box and when I went out to close them all up and leave for work, the dish was empty. I'm so glad she seems to be eating and stretching a little bit at least.

10. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    Ive had hens stay on the nest for 2 or 3 days before getting off to eat, drink and poo. Like everyone has said, she'll be fine, she knows what she is doing. Good luck............

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by