My broody hen stopped sitting eggs due to hatch soon

cassifaith

In the Brooder
Feb 25, 2019
My hen went broody February 24th, I took the eggs away each night, I was hatching baby chicks I set in egg incubator Feb 13th so he wasn’t going to let her hatch babies. But the 28th I finally just let her have 4. We started building a separate area so when she got close we could give her a safe place to hatch and brood her babies. I went out the other night and 1 egg that I know was growing (I candle them at night) just dissapeared. Then last night she wasn’t even sitting on them anymore she moved to a different nesting box. The eggs were cold but I candled them and they were still alive. So I started my incubator back up. Now what??? She’s now sitting on another group so she’s still broody. Should I try to see if she’ll monthly my 1 week old babies? Or should I just brood everyone separate? Also I think these 2 eggs from the hen are different ages, the one looks almost all black inside and the other one the embryo looks small (I may have left one of the eggs since the first day of bloodiness....

That sometimes happens to a broody hen, she moves to a different nest. It's not a problem with most broody hens but it is for some. Typically the broody leaves her nest for her daily constitutional. When she returns another hen is on her nest laying an egg so the broody goes to a different nest. With most of my broody hens this is not a problem, they just hop in the nest with the hen laying the egg, but occasionally one chickens out and goes to another nest.

When I notice this I just put the broody hen back on her eggs in her normal nest. One time this happened and the eggs were really cold to the touch so I was a little concerned. But she hatched 11 out of 11 eggs so no harm done. She also raised all 11 just fine.

That sometimes happens to a broody hen, she moves to a different nest. It's not a problem with most broody hens but it is for some. Typically the broody leaves her nest for her daily constitutional. When she returns another hen is on her nest laying an egg so the broody goes to a different nest. With most of my broody hens this is not a problem, they just hop in the nest with the hen laying the egg, but occasionally one chickens out and goes to another nest.

When I notice this I just put the broody hen back on her eggs in her normal nest. One time this happened and the eggs were really cold to the touch so I was a little concerned. But she hatched 11 out of 11 eggs so no harm done. She also raised all 11 just fine.
Thanks for replying, I tried to segregate her to her own pen so this wouldn't keep happening, but then she wouldn't sit on the eggs and then started pecking them. I tried to show her a baby chick and she pecked it. The nest she was sitting out already had one egg knocked out and disappeared. So I am just going to hatch the last 2 in my incubator and brood with my week old babies. She is still sitting. What can I do to break her?

Back
Top Bottom