My buff Orpington has stopped laying

ddpittman

Chirping
Oct 7, 2015
Osteen, FL
My buff Orp, Daisy, has laid an average of 5 days/week since August when we got her. I am not sure how old she is. She has only ever taken a day off in between her days of laying. Now, she hasn't laid for 5 days (counting today), and she laid a shelless egg yesterday. My adult Bantam-Cochin is laying like crazy, and my Serama lays regularly (then hides her nest and goes broody, but that is in another thread), but Daisy has been the most consistent layer over time. I am new to chickens this year, so their habits are a mystery to me. I live in central FL, so while the days are shorter, it is still quite warm.

You hit on it. Days are shorter. Temperature has nothing to do with it unless stressed from -20F temps.

If she is 1.5 years or more she could be molting. If not, it could still be day length.

The shelless egg is a bit of a concern but unless it happens more than once I wouldn't worry.

Daisy laid a nice, normal, extra large, grade A egg today! Hooray! I guess she was just taking a break, or the return of my broody, cranky serama, Rapunzel, stressed her out!

Back
Top Bottom