Why did some of my hens stop laying?

salt and sage

Hatching
Oct 22, 2023
I have 4 hens, 2 orpingtons and 2 wyandottes. They were all hatched in March and started laying in July/early August. For a few weeks now one of each breed has stopped laying and I cannot figure out why. The temperature has definitely cooled (we live in Maine) and the days are shorter, but the other 2 have been laying every day still. The combs and waddles of the 2 which are not laying have lightened slightly and "deflated" a bit but other than that they are behaving normally (eating, energetic, healthy looking). As a first time chicken keeper I wanted to know if this is normal for first year hens as I thought they were supposed to lay through winter since there is no year 1 molt. Any ideas or advice would be helpful! Thanks

:welcome Some birds do go through a first year molt and some first year birds do stop laying when the daylight period shortens. As long as all else appears to be normal I would not worry.

I have 4 hens, 2 orpingtons and 2 wyandottes. They were all hatched in March and started laying in July/early August. For a few weeks now one of each breed has stopped laying and I cannot figure out why. The temperature has definitely cooled (we live in Maine) and the days are shorter, but the other 2 have been laying every day still. The combs and waddles of the 2 which are not laying have lightened slightly and "deflated" a bit but other than that they are behaving normally (eating, energetic, healthy looking). As a first time chicken keeper I wanted to know if this is normal for first year hens as I thought they were supposed to lay through winter since there is no year 1 molt. Any ideas or advice would be helpful! Thanks
Some hens will slow down during cooler/colder weather. Some will stop entirely. Most of my girls stop November and December and start again in mid January. I may get a few eggs a week from my hens born in spring, may not. I don’t worry about it though because I believe they deserve a break after working so hard the rest of the year.

Some hens will slow down during cooler/colder weather. Some will stop entirely. Most of my girls stop November and December and start again in mid January. I may get a few eggs a week from my hens born in spring, may not. I don’t worry about it though because I believe they deserve a break after working so hard the rest of the year.
Oh I have no problem if they take a break! I just want to make sure nothing is wrong. I just found it odd that one of each breed is laying daily still while the other two have not laid in weeks. I also wanted to know if I should expect them to lay anytime soon or it won't be until spring time

:welcome Some birds do go through a first year molt and some first year birds do stop laying when the daylight period shortens. As long as all else appears to be normal I would not worry.
I don't think they went through a molt. I was just trying to understand why only 2/4 stopped laying and when I should expect them to start again. Should I be getting random eggs here and there or will it need to wait until the days start to get longer again?

Oh I have no problem if they take a break! I just want to make sure nothing is wrong. I just found it odd that one of each breed is laying daily still while the other two have not laid in weeks. I also wanted to know if I should expect them to lay anytime soon or it won't be until spring time
If it is caused by a molt, they may very well resume laying. If it is a hormonal reaction to shortened daylight period, they may very well wait until spring.

Depends on the individual hen. I would probably guess they will wait till after first of the year, but may not be till spring.

Back
Top Bottom