My button Quail (HELP!)

Yes I am with the lady that imported the first button quail the same button quail as the man. Both are males. I have all colors here in the US. Not to be rude, just educating here.

ETA: I recommend the most precise book "A closer Look at Button Quail" By Jodi McDonald. She is the Button quail guru and my mentor.

Last edited:
Yes I am with the lady that imported the first button quail the same button quail as the man. Both are males. I have all colors here in the US.  Not to be rude, just educating here.

ETA: I recommend the most precise book "A closer Look at Button Quail" By Jodi McDonald. She is the Button quail guru and my mentor. 

do you have curly or feather legged varieties or dilute. I really am trying to find some The one man does not have any of the feather legged. as those were a mistake and have not yet been profected. what do you mean by both are males. i have already read that book, have you ever tryed to raise the real button quails? Thats just out of curiosity. Also you seem to know a good lot of info on these little quails, do you sell eggs?

Yes I am with the lady that imported the first button quail the same button quail as the man. Both are males. I have all colors here in the US.  Not to be rude, just educating here.

do you own stellars gamebirds?

I haven't bred the true button quail. I breed the cbbq (chinese blue breasted quail). I don't have the curlies or feather-leggeds. To be honest, the dilutes are so weak in the genes I would be worried about any other malformation of feathering on the birds. I like hardy birds. Breeding the birds true to color as much as possible, giving them their monogamous life like intended, is my intention. I sell hatching eggs year round.

I haven't bred the true button quail. I breed the cbbq  (chinese blue breasted quail). I don't have the curlies or feather-leggeds. To be honest, the dilutes are so weak in the genes I would be worried about any other malformation of feathering on the birds. I like hardy birds. Breeding the birds true to color as much as possible, giving them their monogamous life like intended, is my intention. I sell hatching eggs year round. 

the persom i got my first quails off had a dilute, he only lived a half a year. i like hardy birds to i get really attached to mine and when they only live a little while its not fun for me or the bird.mostly the bird.the feather legged are hardy not sure about the curlys as there arent many in the U.S. i agree that they should live like nature intended. It always pains me to see them in colonys, since it causes so much stress on them. its one thing if they have a giant aviary were they can spread out and pair up but when they are in a small cage were they are forced to be so near each other. how much do you sell your eggs for its hard to find people keeping them in pairs anymore. I really want more double factor blue they were the best only had one and she died and was a runt.

so my question if they are both males is can I keep them together if they play nice, can I buy a couple girls and put them in with them and hope for egg? and can I buy any color of chinese painted quail girls and they will be able to mate with these guys? I was hoping for eggs to hatch, and clearly I wont get that with two males :(
It all depends on the pair. I recommend getting each their own female to avoid issues. Both vents are showing sexual maturity in the boys which explains why one is dominant and picking on the other one. Since they both have pink feathers on their vents, they are both males.

It all depends on the pair. I recommend getting each their own female to avoid issues. Both vents are showing sexual maturity in the boys which explains why one is dominant and picking on the other one. Since they both have pink feathers on their vents, they are both males. 

the one on the top has pink i saw it on the bottom one but not on the top.

Back
Top Bottom