My button Quail (HELP!)

shedevilx15

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 20, 2012
Rochester, NH
I got these two button quail about a week ago. One has some feathers missing on the head area (the one with the white bib) the other one does not. I was told one was a male, and one a female, but I noticed online that some female silver button quail can have bibs, so that threw me off. Can anyone tell just by looking at pictures of them the gender? I can get more pictures, I just want to make sure they are a female/male pair because I've heard horror stories of keeping same sex pairs. Please help, I can get more pictures or videos, etc.

I would like to add that the one with the white bib is much quieter, and has white feathers around its vent, and the bib-less one is a loud mouth, literally crows "dweeee! dweee! dweee! dweeee!" all night, and one of them makes a noise that sounds like wind going "wooosh" and the bib-less one also has light pink-ish/brownish feathers around its vent, if any of that info helps at all

Hey.. I had a similar problem some time ago when I got two completely white quail. None of them had a bib or red-ish feathers around the vent. Now one of them started laying eggs so I know which one is female! The wind-wooshing sound is from the male. I also read that the red vent feathers are only found on male! You should probably just look if the one making the wind sound is the one with the redish vent feathers then I'd be sure that it's a male! Good luck.

hmmm. I'm sorry but I just don't know enough to be completely sure! A very helpful tip for me was that the female is usually rounder and plumper than the male which is thinner and more elongated with a pointy butt! By the way your quail look really nice
smile.png
! I think the best way to find out is to wait for eggs or mating! Sorry that I couldn't be of more help but I'm kind of new to quail too!

Last edited:
they dont even look like silver to me i have some from original stock and they are lighter than those those look like smoky to me. i may be wrong. but anways i would check to see who is making the whispery wind sound that will be the male

so my question if they are both males is can I keep them together if they play nice, can I buy a couple girls and put them in with them and hope for egg? and can I buy any color of chinese painted quail girls and they will be able to mate with these guys? I was hoping for eggs to hatch, and clearly I wont get that with two males :(

We raise butons and you have a pair. The color is not a pure silver but a mix. Bib=male.

Be careful if you try and add more, they can become quite agressive. Don't mix with larger quail as the larger ones are too agressive. Mix feathers. Watch them mate the males holding on to the back of her head is what is causing the bald spot.

We raise butons and you have a pair. The color is not a pure silver but a mix. Bib=male.

Be careful if you try and add more, they can become quite agressive. Don't mix with larger quail as the larger ones are too agressive. Mix feathers. Watch them mate the males holding on to the back of her head is what is causing the bald spot.

So you believe that my bibbed one is a male, and the bibless is a female?
I sure hope so, I keep getting different answers, and I just dont understand why there hasn't been an egg layed, they are 9 weeks old, I thought if there was a female it would be laying and egg by now, is it too early?

Back
Top Bottom