My call duck laid first egg yesterday. q's on cross breeding

cherokeechick33

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 17, 2008
kenton, Ohio
My lil' chocolate call duck laid her first egg yesterday and well they broke it.
hit.gif

it was all rubbery and felt gooey. So the eggs will get harder later on right?
fl.gif

Well we got her at an auction after we got a wild flying mallard drake and we put them together because it was "Love at First at first Sight"
love.gif

she was wigglen and kept trying to get to him when we brought her home that day. So can you cross WFMallards with call ducks? I would love to have some baby ducks running around our farm. lol
Thanks!!
-T
celebrate.gif

Everyone is going to be different on this but i cross my mallard drakes with my call females and they have hatched nice babies also i fed my oyster shell just like my chickens because there eggs did that at first and didnt harden on there own.

I had one call duck hen that laid four or five soft eggs (then a dog got her
sad.png
so I don't know if they would have hardened up).

I would say if one or two are soft, they will get harder - if they don't then go with some oyster shell. Or maybe just offer some oyster shell anyway, since she is starting to lay - it can't hurt and she will either take it or leave it, I assume.

meri

Oh My Gosh you are a life saver!!!
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif
Thanks so much I will tell my Mother to get some more oyster shells because we just ran out.... I am so relieved that someone answered!!!! lol thanks I can't wait till I get some babies!! this will be me if I get a few ->
pop.gif
sitting in front of the bator or broody duck. lol Thanks again!
->T

Back
Top Bottom