My Call Ducks Are Broken

baasanders

In the Brooder
Sep 11, 2019
Hey everyone,

I'm new to the duck world and have three call ducks (2 females, 1 male). I've heard that call ducks LOVE water. Yet, mine will not go into their pool at all!! I added steps in and out, I added a ramp...but they sit at their water bowl dipping their face in. I had to add another one that they can drink out of.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there any thing I need to worry about? Any suggestions on how to get them in to swim? Also, my male was a rescue and the two females were bought from someone else. They have never been tame. I've tried putting them in there, but they are so freaked out by me grabbing them, they immediately jump out.

How old are your Calls and do you know if they had access to swim water where they lived before?
My girls were said to be between 8-10 months, and my dude I'm not sure. He can be any where between 6 months to a year (he's much smaller than them).

Before I got the girls, I could put him in the pond and he would swim for the longest. Now that they are here, he won't get it...he follows them like a lost shadow. I'm assuming they had access to swim. The very first day I got them, I put them in and they all stayed in there swimming. I caught the three the other day, and put them in....and soon as I turned around, they were jumping out.

My only concern is I work two jobs, so I'm not here enough to make sure both water containers stay full. I assume they are ducks, and if they need water, are smart enough to get in....but I don't know!!

Do you happen to have a game camera? maybe set it up so you can see what they are doing and if they are getting in. Can you show your set up? Can't imagine there could be any reason they would be scared especially if the drake has been in already.

Hello...They will swim when ready. I toss in grasses and weeds or Romain Lettuce to encourage them to go in.
Do you have a step in or a ramp? I use a step and don't put anything in the kiddie pool to get out. They definitely can get out..

Last edited:
Do you happen to have a game camera? maybe set it up so you can see what they are doing and if they are getting in. Can you show your set up? Can't imagine there could be any reason they would be scared especially if the drake has been in already.
This is their setup...

Attachments

• F0C9A285-B0FA-4683-B0C9-27ED079BBE73.jpeg
    F0C9A285-B0FA-4683-B0C9-27ED079BBE73.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
Hello...They will swim when ready. I toss in grasses and weeds or Romain Lettuce to encourage them to go in.
Do you have a step in or a ramp? I use a step and don't put anything in the kiddie pool to get out. They definitely can get out..
I have steps leading in and one little step to get out.

If they have a special treat you might try starting off with a little on the ground close to the pool then toss some in the pool. I can toss dry dog food or mealworms or green peas in the pool and can get mine in. Might take a little coaxing from you but worth trying. Make sure what ever you use floats. Peas will sink but if the water is clean they will dive for peas if they love them. And dry cat or dog food needs to be small for tiny Calls.

Back
Top Bottom