My call ducks have lice!

Sun_Ducks

In the Brooder
Dec 31, 2021
I found lice on one of my call ducks, I was wondering what are some good and fast treatments to get rid of them? Can I get lice from my ducks?

Last edited:
Sorry your ducks have it. You could get it from the environment. Like whenever I touch my chicken coop, i get mites on me, but they dont stay on my body long even though they do itch.

My ducks (muscovys) bathe 10x per day and I never even considered parasites could penetrate their feathers. Whereas all my chickens are covered in thousands of mites, the ducks i thought were impervious. Do your ducks bathe at during the day?

ivermectin pour on, Id treat once a week for 3 weeks if it was me. It'll knock it out fast. I also used Martins permethrin 10% dip on my chickens when they got lice. I only dipped them one time them treated them with ivermectin, repeated with ivermectin for 2 more weeks. They never came back.. all this is just as safe for ducks as chickens

I have some Diatomaceous earth but I don't know how long I'll have to use it to be sure the lice is gone.
It's really hard to penetrate duck feathers with any type of dust bath, but maybe someone else has done it. Maybe get better response in the ducks forum asking how to control insects because here you may get good advice, but you need someone that has actually used a dust bath on ducks before you try it. Their feathers and skin are very different from chickens.

Permethrin spray is easy to use.
Spray EVERY one and the coop weekly (every 5 days would be better) for no less then 3 treatments.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...wJQPYWaTfLaG1H_zcPWN-4w56d9zVwRoC6LQQAvD_BwE#

Screenshot_20211231-195434.png

DE will not work.

Back
Top Bottom