My Cat....

Iheartchicks<3:)

Songster
9 Years
Aug 1, 2010
Mount Vernon, WA
My cat is such a problem! With humans he is the SWEETEST thing! He's like a little rag doll (or a fat ragdoll) He is such an attention hog! But when it comes to animals.. he shows no mercy. He will kill anything! Whether it be a fly or a huge pregnant bunny!! But hes very easygoing and i think that if i trained him to, he wouldnt attack my chicks/chickens... but my question is, How do i go about doing that?
heres some pics of him... for fun
smile.png

64479_img_3470.jpg

Not the best pic..

64479_img_3523.jpg

Silly milo!

64479_img_3001.jpg

NO more pics pleeeease!

64479_img_2401.jpg

See what i mean by ragdoll?

I have 3 cats that are outside cats. From day one when I got the first hens. They were scared to death of them. When the babies were big enough to be intigrated with the hens they act as a group. The first time one of the cats went into the run they all went after her. I suppose they have done this with the other cats because they leave them alone. But you have to protect young chicks as the are an easy meal.

I would use a garden hose anytime he even looked at them. It sort of works on Yorkies, and it even better on chickens that are eating my flowers. Just try being naughty at my house will get you the garden hose. Even the neighbors dog knows this now.
lau.gif

Thanks guys!! This is exactly was i was thinking about doing... it wouldnt be too mean?? What about when i let the babies outside? Ofcourse i will supervise... but will the water hurt them (or make them TOO cold) if it gets to them? How close should i let him get? He's quite attached and tends to follow us around..

Thanks guys!! This is exactly was i was thinking about doing... it wouldnt be too mean?? What about when i let the babies outside? Ofcourse i will supervise... but will the water hurt them (or make them TOO cold) if it gets to them? How close should i let him get? He's quite attached and tends to follow us around.. oh and yes thanks for saying they are cute pics:)

Buy a child's water pistol and keep it loaded ready. You will be able to get the cat long before it gets near the chickens. Keep doing this so that he associates going near the chickens with getting wet. When the chicks are bigger they will put him in his place in the pecking order!

Last edited:
Iheartchicks<3
smile.png
:

Ok will do! And also how do i get from new egg to chillin with my peeps or "just hatched" in my status?

Keep posting is how you get to chillin. I think that you need 50. The fastest way is to play some of the games like random word.

As for being to cold; unless your trapped here is the NW, everywhere else in the country is warm enough for everyone to dry off quickly. I am fairly sure that it isn't really mean to nail the cat before it gets one of the chicks. I would wait till the cat gets very close before I would hose him. He needs to associate the hose with the chickens. The best part is they don't realize that you are behind the hose.

I have nailed the Yorkies with the hose. They do understand that mom has control of the hose. But with the chickens I usually just chase them with the water, rather than really wet them. I did get them when the older hens were found eating the flowers.​

Where would i find random word?

I know this belongs in the chick category but no one is answering...
so here goes
what do you guys recommend for a chick first aid kit? And i will be making a checklist for my family on a whiteboard and hanging it above the brooder.. what should i put on there form them to do to care for them while im at my dads? They are unexperienced and dont have the slightest clue so what will be short but very straightforward to write on there?

Back
Top Bottom