My chick EMERGENCY

Silkie ChickMom

In the Brooder
Dec 5, 2015
Ok so my silkie bamtan laid 12 eggs and my Cochin is sitting on them. 1 of them hatched!!! So excited!! His name is Sean! My child's elf on the shelf brought her a hat and scarf for Sean today. We went outside today to see Sean.(by the way he's 2 days old) He was stuck in the water. I quickly grabbed him and stuck him under the heat lamp. I am worried he will get to cold. My daughter didn't see it and I told her lets go back inside , Sean is sleeping. His hat is to big so how do I make it smaller. AND is SEAN gonna be Ok?

Ok so my silkie bamtan laid 12 eggs and my Cochin is sitting on them. 1 of them hatched!!! So excited!! His name is Sean! My child's elf on the shelf brought her a hat and scarf for Sean today. We went outside today to see Sean.(by the way he's 2 days old) He was stuck in the water. I quickly grabbed him and stuck him under the heat lamp. I am worried he will get to cold. My daughter didn't see it and I told her lets go back inside , Sean is sleeping. His hat is to big so how do I make it smaller. AND is SEAN gonna be Ok?

Welcome to BYC! Try to keep him warm enough of Sean should be fine. Hopefully Sean didn't ingest too much water. Keep an eye on Sean.

Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

jumpy.gif
D.gif
welcome-byc.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif

Keep him warm, well fed and give him access to fresh water and he should be okay. Sometimes with young chicks it is best to put a bunch of pebbles in their water to offset how deep it is. This can help keep them getting into the water and potentially drowning.

You need a very shallow dish for watering baby chicks - people also put clear stones or glass pebbles in the dish, to help prevent drowning. Sean doesn't need a hat, but, he would appreciate a small stuffed animal to cuddle up with. Also a mirror, so he thinks another chick is with him. Just make sure to angle the heat lamp so part of the brooder is warm and another part cooler - so Sean can pick what he needs. Brooder should be draft free with a wire top to prevent too many hands from touching him, keep pets out, and give him some fresh air. Chicks are very fragile, and quick and erratic in their movements. They can easily jump or fall from someone's hands with tragic results.

welcome-byc.gif

You've been given some good advice so I'll just say hello and hope Sean is fine!

Sean doesn't need a hat, but, he would appreciate a small stuffed animal to cuddle up with. I know Sean does not need a hat but I dress my chickens up. My mother silkie has a pink harness and leash. One more question if I have a banty rooster and a silkie. What breed would the chick look like? I am very eager for my other 11 eggs to hatch and grow.

Sean doesn't need a hat, but, he would appreciate a small stuffed animal to cuddle up with. I know Sean does not need a hat but I dress my chickens up. My mother silkie has a pink harness and leash. One more question if I have a banty rooster and a silkie. What breed would the chick look like? I am very eager for my other 11 eggs to hatch and grow.
It depends on the breed of the rooster. Being a crossbreed it could look similar to the mother, father, or neither of them. If the rooster was also a Silkie than it will look like a Silkie. The color could change if the mother and father were different colors. What breed did you plan on getting for a rooster?
I thank all of y'all for the help Sean is doing good right now and another chick hatched!

Congratulations!

Back
Top Bottom