my chick got attcked

kvmommy

Songster
9 Years
Jan 2, 2011
Somethings been targeting my babies and only leaves feathers and blood. They r freerange but ill be building a pen soon. So. Came home and found two polish missing. Searched everywhere and found nothing. Hours later my chicken herding dog (aka boxer) keeps whining at me and pawing at a bush. Finally I checked and my fave chicken ever is lying there wrapped in weeds and vines, conscious but limp. I untangled her and checked her and didn't see any wounds so I thought she must have gotten tangled and was exhausted so I brought her in and offered mealies and water but she didn't want any. I flipped her over and there was dried blood all over her stomach! But I couldn't see any wound without washing it but I was afraid to reopen it especially with the kids freaking out. I put her back in their box outside and at dark the others came in and they all went to sleep. I went in to check and they r all laying down except her. Which is better than her laying there half conscious. But it appears she's in too much pain to lay down. And I just don't know what to do. If she just died is be sad and it'd be done. But now she's hurt and suffering. I have to help her!

Sgtfirstwife

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 29, 2012
Stedman
I am new to this so take it with a grain of salt, however I have been reading this board forever. Can you wipe it of just a little to see where she is bleeding from? If you can't then do you have some unmedicated neurosporin you can put on it? I have read on this board about giving aspirin, but i am not sure if that is a good idea with the bleeding. I hope you get some helpful advice. Good luck.

kvmommy

Songster
9 Years
Jan 2, 2011
Thank u for your reply. I just. Checked on her and she's laying down on the others so she's kinda propped up off her stomach. I'm gonna suck it up and clean her belly tomorrow.

WasabiChicki

Songster
9 Years
May 11, 2010
Northern California
Hawk maybe? Where are you located?
There is no such thing as unmedicated neosporin... its all a medicine... but maybe there is some other kind I don't know of??

I use Dr. Bach's Rescue Remedy for all trauma to any creature... It is a flower essence. "Hippy Stuff" is what my son calls it but I tell you what: it will calm & reground anything shaking from a bad day! It is completely safe for little chicks too: 3 drops in some water.
My other "hippy stuff" includes echinacea & goldenseal (in tincture form, best by herbpharm) which I've used on countless animals & ppl to prevent infection & speed up the healing of all wounds. (3-5 drops in water, 10-15 if more than a quart will be sitting there)

That combo of herbs might as well be an antibiotic so use only for 5-7 days & then take a break for 3. Repeat if needed, but I have never had to repeat that dosage w/ an injured animal... even after my roo's comb was torn in half by a dog & his leg almost ripped off... he made it & I swear it was those three things.
*The flower essence is amazing for the emotional trauma as well & should be taken by the owner or other family members if needed

GOOD LUCK! I am so sorry to hear of your scare... I hope she makes it & you can get a secure yard ready ASAP!

Last edited:

Top Bottom