My chick has gorged on polystyrene. Doesn’t look good 😥

Misalisca

In the Brooder
Mar 2, 2020
One of my my 3 week old Lav. Sussex chicks has eaten a chunk of polystyrene overnight (been moved well out of reach now) & is standing (won’t sit) eyes half closed/closed & not moving around, leans against other chicks when they come near, wings a bit droopy. I know things can go from so-so to horrible really fast when they’re this small. Is there anything I can do to help her?

Edited to say, that I just reread your post and it was only a chunk, so chances may be better for her to pass this.

Do you have any small chick grit available? Just have it available. I would try to give some mineral oil in a little wet chick feed, or cut some pieces of coconut oil that has been in the freezer for a few minutes. Give her 1/2 tsp of either. Get her drinking water to hopefully move this through her digestive tract. Grown chickens probably have a better chance of surviving this, but it can be serious for any. I am going to tag @azygous to see if she has any suggestions.

The behavior of your chick, to be honest, doesn't bode well for it. Can you feel the chunk in the crop? Can you be precise about the size? Pea size? Ping pong ball size? If it's the latter, unless you want to try your hand at crop surgery, I doubt she's going to be able to work this thing down her digestive tract. It would get hung up in her gizzard for sure.

If you can feel it in the crop, and you can afford a vet, I recommend you ask a vet to surgically remove it. If you or a relative or friend have any medical expertise, crop surgery isn't complicated, and that's the best thing to try if you want to save this chick.

The alternative is to use oil as @Eggcessive has instructed, and hope for the best.

Edited to say, that I just reread your post and it was only a chunk, so chances may be better for her to pass this.

Do you have any small chick grit available? Just have it available. I would try to give some mineral oil in a little wet chick feed, or cut some pieces of coconut oil that has been in the freezer for a few minutes. Give her 1/2 tsp of either. Get her drinking water to hopefully move this through her digestive tract. Grown chickens probably have a better chance of surviving this, but it can be serious for any. I am going to tag @azygous to see if she has any suggestions.
Thanks for replying, I’ve put some grit & oil in with her & as well as water I guess I just need to wait & see. She’s in her own little space so she’s not knocked around now but she can still hear the other chicks.
It was a sizable chunk maybe the size of two walnuts that disappeared but she’s the only one showing abnormal behavior.

The behavior of your chick, to be honest, doesn't bode well for it. Can you feel the chunk in the crop? Can you be precise about the size? Pea size? Ping pong ball size? If it's the latter, unless you want to try your hand at crop surgery, I doubt she's going to be able to work this thing down her digestive tract. It would get hung up in her gizzard for sure.

If you can feel it in the crop, and you can afford a vet, I recommend you ask a vet to surgically remove it. If you or a relative or friend have any medical expertise, crop surgery isn't complicated, and that's the best thing to try if you want to save this chick.

The alternative is to use oil as @Eggcessive has instructed, and hope for the best.
Her crop feels spongy & not even half full just got a poo from her now she’s separated looks like it has blood through it 😕 it could be s separate issue & unrelated to the styrofoam as all the chicks could have had a go at it & not just one.
image.jpg

I forgot to welcome you to BYC. If vet care is available that is always best, if the vet is experienced with chickens or birds. The blood could be related or possibly from coccidiosis. Corid (amprollium) from the feed store is used to treat it in the water. Add 2 tsp (10ml) to each gallon of water and treat for for 5-7 days.

I have been looking through a lot of threads from the past, and most chickens have passed the styrofoam in the poop. But most were older chickens. Let us know how th chick gets along.

Her crop feels spongy & not even half full just got a poo from her now she’s separated looks like it has blood through it 😕 it could be s separate issue & unrelated to the styrofoam as all the chicks could have had a go at it & not just one. View attachment 2040488
Your chick is suffering from coccidiosis...without a doubt.
Get Corid today and treat all of your birds with it.
You must act fast (start treating it now) or this bird will most likely die.

I forgot to welcome you to BYC. If vet care is available that is always best, if the vet is experienced with chickens or birds. The blood could be related or possibly from coccidiosis. Corid (amprollium) from the feed store is used to treat it in the water. Add 2 tsp (10ml) to each gallon of water and treat for for 5-7 days.

I have been looking through a lot of threads from the past, and most chickens have passed the styrofoam in the poop. But most were older chickens. Let us know how th chick gets along.
Thanks for the welcome 😄 I’ve previously always looked through to find help I just couldn’t find what I was looking for this time without asking & I’m glad I did!

Your chick is suffering from coccidiosis...without a doubt.
Get Corid today and treat all of your birds with it.
You must act fast (start treating it now) or this bird will most likely die.
Yep my suspicions now cocci, the styrofoam is just coincidence & I think will resolve itself but I’m on the coccidosis now & I’ll jump on it quick & see how we go.

Back
Top Bottom