My chick is Handicapped

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ladyomaha, Dec 15, 2011.

1. ladyomaha

ladyomaha Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2011
    Kansas
    I have a Chick who is blind for sure in one eye, it NEVER opens, and when I looked its Grey in Color, and he just runs into things, and hasnt eating cause he cant find food, What would you do if this was your lil chick?

2. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    I would cordon off part of the brooder for him and maybe one other chick so he isn't lonely- then show him where the food & water are- you may have to do this several times before he learns. The smaller area will make it easier for him to find. As he adjusts you can gradually increase his area. Chickens with one eye can usually live a normal life- just give him some time. Good luck!

3. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Quote:I would cull it..... kill it. I don't keep handicap or sick chickens here.

4. ladyomaha

Nov 26, 2011
    Kansas
    Thanks, I have been so worried about him, I take him to the food and water, but all he does is lay down, But I will Be persistent with him, and hope he will be alright. Thanks for the encouragement.

5. barkerbeau

barkerbeau Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2011
    Give him a separate cage with two shallow dishes. One food and one water. If his vision is his only problem, he should eat.I had a black Dutch bantam that was totally blind lived about 6 years. From being in a dark cage and not out running around tearing his feathers up.....he had the deepest green sheen to him.

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I usually cull the chicks. I did have one that grew up blind in one eye. She did survive to be an old lady. She would drink and eat out of the feeder ok but whenever we gave the birds treats she would have problems with that.

7. ladyomaha

Nov 26, 2011
    Kansas
    Woke this Morning to find my Lil chick as passed away! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by