My Chick Is Sick....Or Something! HELP!

SilkieMama17

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 9, 2011
Alfred
So, we had suddenly lost one chick over night last night. No signs that anything was off with the poor lil thing. But now, tonight, one of our other lil babies is acting funny. The chick seems to tumble and fall when walking, and when it lays down, it kinda just falls down and lays on its side. And occassionally when it falls, it can't get up on its own. It's eating and drinking fine, and just started acting like this tonight. I feel like I'm losing another lil baby. Please, if anyone knows what could be wrong?!

I bought the chicks from TSC on Saturday, so they are not very old. And the bedding is paper towels right now, changed out very often. The temp is fine in the brooder, the chick is eating and drinking fine still, but I just don't know what could be wrong?!

The chick made it through the night but is still having the same weird symptoms. BUMPING for maybe some kind of answer.

I have a chick with similar issues and it was suggested it may have suffered a head injury. Has yours been dropped or pecked by a bigger bird? Hopefully someone more experienced will respond. Good luck!!

sounds like they are not warm enough, they will fall over like that if they are too cold.. also I put sugar in the water for a few days when I first get them.

Thanks for some responses. The chick hasn't been dropped or pecked hard or anything. I don't think its too cold, temp is always right about 90* and they all seem comfortable in it. I was told it could be that Marek's Disease by someone else I know, so I'm really hoping it's not that! I'm hoping to see some improvement in the lil guy today!

90 is probably not warm enough, is there a way to lower the light? I had problems with shipped chicks a few years ago and thats what mcmurray hatchery told me, I lowered the light, got them warmer and they were just fine then. are you measuring the heat from the bottom or the top, your temp for week old chicks should still be about 95 but if you put the light low enough they can get under it to get warm, but they can still get away from it if they are too warm. they will let you know.

I really don't think the temp is the issue. All the other chicks are fine. And all of them act completely comfortable w/the temp at 90*. If it gets to 95* they are getting way too hot. I'm guessing on the age, bc no one could tell me at TSC how old they were, so I'm just thinking a week or so, maybe a lil more. She's still acting funny and falling over, barely able to walk. I feel bad for the lil chick!! She's still eating and drinking though, and I'm going to give her some scrambled eggs and vitamins like I was suggested to do.

I definitely agree on your temp.

If you think it's Marek's you could do some hunting on here. The official stance is there is no treatment, but there are testimonials about some vitamins (besides just the infant vitamin drops) that supposedly helped. Very hard to prove as some survive and some don't. If I remembered which vitamins I'd sure tell you. OTOH, one source I checked said chicks most commonly affected are 12 to 25 weeks.

You should really look over the info in this link, too, as something might ring a bell with you:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=39604

You can check this website for chicken disease info:
http://www.raising-chickens.org/poultry-ailments.html

Are you feeding it a medicated chick feed?
If you think it has something, I would isolate it from your other birds ASAP.

Marek's Disease
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Incidence: very common chicken ailment worldwide; occurs more in large breeds than in bantams.

System/organ affected: organs, nerves, or skin.

Symptoms: in chicks: growing thin while eating well. In young birds: enlarged feather follicles or white bumps on skin that scab over with a brown crust, lack of coordination, pale skin, wing or leg paralysis.

Cause: six different herpes viruses concentrated in feather follicles, shed in dander, survive for years in dust and litter, inhaled contaminated dust, hatching eggs.

Prevention: breed for resistance, practice good sanitation and provide good ventilation, keep turkey with your chickens because turkeys carry a related but harmless virus that prevents Marek's from forming and causing tumors.

Treatment: none, cull.

Back
Top Bottom