My chick is very sick!

Birthatheckick

Hatching
Mar 22, 2018
My 3 week old chick is very sick. When I came home from work she wasn't moving and I thought she was dead so I went to throw her away. But she chirped she was stuck in the food coutainer and dead. But wasn't dead and now she is throwing up water and not holding anything down. We think she will die soon but would like to save her help!

Hi and welcome

Sorry your chick is so ill. Have you checked for pasty butt? That and coccidiosis are two of the biggest problems with young chicks. If it's vent is caked with chalky white urates it becomes constipated and backed up and this will kill it quite quickly. Soaking in warm water and gently rubbing (sometimes a moistened cotton bud or Q-Tip is useful) to dissolve and tease out any obstruction is the course of action for this and then coating the vent in ointment to prevent further caking and ensuring that the chick gets plenty of fluids. If it is coccidiosis the chick will usually stand hunched and poop will often be loose, possibly bloody or mucous like. treatment for that is Corid (amprolium) found in the cattle section of the feed store. If you get the liquid, a drop or two directly into the chicks beak is beneficial if the chick is seriously ill and then 2teaspns to a gallon of water, prepared fresh every day for 10 days and it is best to treat all chicks. If you get the powder, then it is 1.5 teaspns per gallon of water.

I hope you are not too late and can revive this chick.

Hi and welcome

Sorry your chick is so ill. Have you checked for pasty butt? That and coccidiosis are two of the biggest problems with young chicks. If it's vent is caked with chalky white urates it becomes constipated and backed up and this will kill it quite quickly. Soaking in warm water and gently rubbing (sometimes a moistened cotton bud or Q-Tip is useful) to dissolve and tease out any obstruction is the course of action for this and then coating the vent in ointment to prevent further caking and ensuring that the chick gets plenty of fluids. If it is coccidiosis the chick will usually stand hunched and poop will often be loose, possibly bloody or mucous like. treatment for that is Corid (amprolium) found in the cattle section of the feed store. If you get the liquid, a drop or two directly into the chicks beak is beneficial if the chick is seriously ill and then 2teaspns to a gallon of water, prepared fresh every day for 10 days and it is best to treat all chicks. If you get the powder, then it is 1.5 teaspns per gallon of water.

I hope you are not too late and can revive this chick.

Thank

Thank you! He is now have seizures and very weak and just flops his head around I hotel he will make it but very doubt full :/

Back
Top Bottom