My chick "sharpens" it's beak

Sunburnt

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 8, 2009
NH
Has anyone seen this before? It appears to be sharpening it, like you would a knife. I do suspect this BR is a roo - does this appear in roo's?

Just curious.

most of the time mine do that they just pick up something that tastes bad. like poop

also
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
My chicks have been spending some time outside during the day in a little enclosure. Yesterday, they found a couple of slugs--the yellow-y/orange-y ones that are super slimey. Each of the lucky hunters played chick keep-away for a while and then managed to eat the slugs. But the darn things were so slimey the chicks had to keep "wiping" their beaks to get the yuck off! I hope this doesn't turn them off of slugs because I have Plenty of those for them to snack on.

mine do it too my rooster and my girls it doesnt mean that its a roo because it does it sometimes they dont like what they are eating and sometimes they have something on it that they dont want on there i guess but i think its normal

Do you mean he's wiping his beak on the ground?

This is very common, although I mainly see it in my hens, lol. It's like stretchc1 said, they're just wiping their mouths to get stuff off their beaks. Generally after they eat veggies or fruits.

My chickies will do this all the time. It's totally normal, and I think its really funny and cute
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom