My chick "sharpens" it's beak

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sunburnt, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Sunburnt

Sunburnt In the Brooder

Jun 8, 2009
    NH
    Has anyone seen this before? It appears to be sharpening it, like you would a knife. I do suspect this BR is a roo - does this appear in roo's?

Just curious.

2. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    most of the time mine do that they just pick up something that tastes bad. like poop

also [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2009
  3. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

[​IMG] and [​IMG] from S. Florida.

4. stretchc1

stretchc1 In the Brooder

Jul 16, 2008
    Connecticut
    My chicks have been spending some time outside during the day in a little enclosure. Yesterday, they found a couple of slugs--the yellow-y/orange-y ones that are super slimey. Each of the lucky hunters played chick keep-away for a while and then managed to eat the slugs. But the darn things were so slimey the chicks had to keep "wiping" their beaks to get the yuck off! I hope this doesn't turn them off of slugs because I have Plenty of those for them to snack on.

5. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Songster

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    mine do it too my rooster and my girls it doesnt mean that its a roo because it does it sometimes they dont like what they are eating and sometimes they have something on it that they dont want on there i guess but i think its normal

6. Debbienmousey

Debbienmousey Songster

Do you mean he's wiping his beak on the ground?

This is very common, although I mainly see it in my hens, lol. It's like stretchc1 said, they're just wiping their mouths to get stuff off their beaks. Generally after they eat veggies or fruits.

7. swedishfish

swedishfish Songster

Apr 20, 2009
    My chickies will do this all the time. It's totally normal, and I think its really funny and cute [​IMG]

8. shaggy

shaggy Songster

May 11, 2009
    Orange, Texas
    mine got some tomatoes --- they would grab a bite --- wipe their beaks off on the ground and then grab another bite

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: